Heart Disease Community
Chest discomfort

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Chest discomfort

Ive been having some discomfort in my chest for a while now, it's a stabbing kind of feeling
and recently my left arm feels as though its too heavy for my chest. What could this possibly mean?
Which side of your chest? Is the feeling coming from the area of your heart?

In men, angina is usually described as a dull ache with some burning emanating from the area of the heart. The pain or a numb feeling can travel down the left arm, making it feel odd and numb. You can also have angina in your back. I think some women experience this type of angina also.

Angina, as you know is "referred pain" from the muscles of the heart due to an inadequate blood supply to the muscles of the heart, most often due to coronary artery blockages.

Women experience angina sometimes in a totally different way. They may have an odd ache in their left shoulder or back, nausea and an overall feeling of discomfort, I have read.

Stabbing pains are usually not associated with angina, I do not think. Of course I could be wrong.
Coronary artery spasms may cause a stabbing pain... Not sure.

Stabbing pains seem to be more likely a problem within the lungs or chest muscle/ribs/cartilage. Damage to a nerve of the spine can also cause this type of pain.

At any rate, you need to see your doctor about these pains and the feeling in your left arm.

Good luck,

Jack