Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest pain, arrhythmia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chest pain, arrhythmia

I am 38 years old, exercise regularly(play softball, study karate, referee high school basketball),am a non-smoker, consume beer on the average of 1 day a week(moderate), normal cholesterol and blood pressure, and have always watched my diet (although there is a family history of heart disease- father has angina, grandfather had a heart attack at 55).
  Over the last year I have experienced pains in my chest, mainly from the breast bone out to my shoulders (specifically the pectoral muscles). This pain is not felt during exercise, but occurs 24 to 48 hours after exercise. This in itself would not alarm me if it went away after a period of time, yet it seems to continue throughout the sports season. Also I am experiencing occasional heart arrhythmia's (skipped beats- 1 or 2 a day when resting) which seem to increase with more exercise. An example is the current basketball season, which is three weeks old. Prior to starting
  the basketball season I did very little exercise for approx 4 weeks, the chest pain went away and the arrhythmia's were less frequent. After starting the new season the same symptoms reoccurred. During a typical 11/2 hour game I run up and down the court, raise my arms up and down 50-100 times(signaling fouls)and get a pretty good workout.
  This past week I was taking ibuprofen and penicillin for a infected tooth and the chest pain disappeared! When I stopped the ibuprofen(i was still taking the penicillin), it returned again. Also the chest pain is relived after taking a long hot shower or bath.
  Does ibuprofen have any effect on chest pain associated with heart problems(angina?)What about heat treatments?
  I have been to my doctor(about 6 month's ago), he did a ECG in his office, sent me to a cardiologist who performed a treadmill stress test(normal) and had an event monitor for 1 month (a few arrhythmia's, which the doctor was not concerned about).
  What is going on? Should I be concerned about a heart problem and return to my doctor. What other possible conditions could cause this? Thank you for your help.