Heart Disease Community
Chest pain & numbness in arms

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Chest pain & numbness in arms

I gave blood two months ago and the bandage that's wrapped around your elbow caused the a problem -- mainly restriction of blood flow.  I had it on for two and a half days.  During the last 24 hours, I felt problems in blood flow, but couldn't realize to remove the tape.  Finally, in the hospital I did and my condition improved greatly.  But still, I noticed a problem weeks later when while sitting, I crossed my legs, or right after eating something with too much sugar.  I'd have a brief breathing problem and chest pain, but it didn't last more than half a minute.

I couldn't help but think a blood clot formed (because no one's body should be so sensitive to slight restriction in circulation), and lived with it.  Finally, two months later, at 5 am this morning, moderate chest pain resurfaced only it was coupled with numbness in my right arm and then in my left.  Oddly, I felt a heat wave at my arms and a little bit of pain shoot through each of them.  It was impossible to write....I felt just fine if I did nothing, once the numbness passed.  

Does anyone know what I experienced a couple hours ago?  A mild "silent" heart attack fits, while carpal tunnel (my aunt's idea) and acid reflex (her's again) don't. I looked up heart pain online, but very little seemed suitable.  There was regular chest pain, but wasn't acute.

I'm in my mid-20s, thin, don't smoke, and eat healthy. I'm not a normal profile for heart problems. Aside from being a blood donor, the only other relevant factor is my being on birth control from June 2009 to September 2010.  If anyone with an education in medicine has an idea, please reply.
I've never heard of having the bandage being kept on so very, very long. The puncture wound from the needle seals up in a short time. I would have taken it off within an hour. When I draw blood from an animal for testing and use an 18 gauge needle, I keep pressure on the puncture for a minute or so and it's fine. Even larger cuts will stop bleeding after pressure is applied to the wound.

I have no idea what happened. I don't go by the "you're too young to have a heart attack" because anyone can have a heart problem if the circumstances are right. Only by going to the doctor will you know. They can do a simple blood test and ECG to find out since there will be changes if you did indeed have a heart attack.
Thanks. I called my doctor, but he thinks the symptoms haven't developed into something that can be diagnosed.  It didn't seem right to me.  I'll look into getting the blood test. Thanks!
You're quite welcome. It's not likely to be a heart attack but a simple test could rule it out completely.
I read something that sort of confirmed it.  If there's pain that speads to the abdominal and is accompanied by trouble breathing, it counts.  I thought that part was really strange.  Like why would the heart cause discomfort there and then have failed breathing.
I saw the doctor and he agreed that most physicians wouldn't look into my health condition due to age. And not only did he state it, he supported it.  His attitude was discouraging, but Dr. Cohan agreed to check my pulses and do an EKG.  My pulses were fine and I decided to wait for the "elephant on your chest" feeling before getting the EKG.  (I wasn't sure how much it would cost)

I feel better, not so much because of the doctor, but because of normal 'daily living' stress.  So far it's helped my heart recover from irregularities on two occasions.  It's like the electrical signals get helpful stabilization cues, or something like that.
I'm glad you're feeling better for now. I hope it stays that way. At your age you should be out having fun and discovering life, not thinking about the end. Old folks like me do that.  :-)