Heart Disease Community
Chest pain and muscle spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Chest pain and muscle spasms

I have been having chest pain for months now & never worried about it being my heart until recently when I had 4 signs of a heart attack. I went to the local ER where they ran an EKG & blood work that showed no signs of trouble. I also have no problems such as high bp, high cholesterol, I don't smoke or drink and there is no family history. However, the doctor decided to do a heart cath anyway which of course showed no problems. However, I continue to have chest pain.

I do have reflux and take medication for it & I aslo have fibromyalgia which can cause body/muscle pain. My family doctor seems to have grown tired of trying to find out what is going on with me and what might be causing the problem and just wants to treat the symptoms. I am really at my wits ends. I would appreciate any help or information any of you might be able to give me.

I am currently taking 81 mg of aspirin a day and Vytorin for cholesterol since I had the heart cath as the cardiologist thought that best.

I also get a lot of chest discommfort in the upper chest area and the ribs below my breast. Sharp shooting pains, soreness and just pain. I have FM also and have been dxed with costochrondritis, chest wall pain. I have read that is very common with people with FM, plus have also read where it is actually FM of the chest wall.

My Dr. told me press around the area and it hurts more it is not heart, you cannot reproduce heart pain. It is scarey though and I have been getting this for years. The worse area is what I call my bra strap pain, seem to follow the bra strap area down to and into the breast and underarm. I use to get it only left sided now it is both sides.

I am a pharmacist who unfortunately has the same problem. Based on the information you provided, you seem to have coronary spasms.  Ask your cardiologist to consider using Ergonovine or Methacholine in a controlled environment (because there is some danger involved) to confirm your spasms.  Once confirmed they will know how to treat you medically with calcium channel blockers, nitrates, etc.  Just as a FYI, Prinzmetal angina (also known as variant angina) is chest pain that occurs randomly and is believed to be caused by coronary spasms.  After the episode, there is no evidence on an EKG or other scans generally used to detect whats called typical angina.  For more information, you can search the web and look up this type of angina.

I hope this helped.
Thank you both for your comments. I know this is not costochondritis as I have suffered with that often before and I am unable to reproduce this pain by pushing anywhere on my chest or ribs. I do believe this could be the spasms or type of angina that was mentioned and will speak to my cardiologist about it when I see him next month. I really began believing that maybe I was making it all up somehow as no one seemed to believe me when I had no health reasons to explain the problems and the cardiologist could find nothing. It seemed like people thought I was making it up and I think my primary care physician is still not sure what to think. Maybe the comments I received from the two of you will give him a little more confidence in me.
I have very similar symptoms, had a battery of tests done, cardiac cath which came out good, but still have chest pains that sometimes mimic heart attack pains, with no real reason. I wrote all about it here..

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/627044

I have been having a lot of palpitations recently also, along with my other symptons I've been having. If you could, check out my post and we could maybe compare symptons here.
I Basically feel the same say,  been to ER 3 times and nothing but possible LOW magnesium levels.   It happens during HIGH stress times..  Palipations and chest pain/spasms.    I was basically told to work on it as a PANIC disorder..  

Anyone else hear this..