Heart Disease Community
Chest pain and shortness of breath day after exercise!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I've always had some chest pain which the doctors said was benig and stress related. I am currently about to turn 18 with a family history of heart disease from my dad's side only. My uncle died from a heart attack a few months ago and he was at a decent weight and his chest pains were misdiagnosed. My dad is 46 and is around 240 and shorter than me but has not been diagnosed with any heart related problems other than high blood pressure. He eats terribly and gets no exercise other than what he does at work.

I made a decision a few days to get into shape and lose weight.

I started the first day with like 5 minutes of cardio and pushups+situps.

I went for a 25 minute walk yesterday morning and I start getting chest pain as soon as I got cooled down. Today I had a rapid heart beat when I woke up and it comes with mild exertion like walking up the stairs. I also still have the chest pain and some shortness of breath. I haven't exercised in years so do you think maybe I overdid it? There is not really any pain during the actual exercising.

I'm a male who is 5'10-5'11 and maybe 225 at the very most which is considered obese I think. I've been sedentary and have had a terrible diet for a few years. I had a chest x-ray and EKG 4-5 months ago and the doctor said there was nothing wrong with my heart so I don't get how I could have heart problems develop so fast.

I really hope this is just a sign of being out of shape.

Opinion?

I'll be going for a well check soon but I need some reassurance.
When you're talking about chest pain and SOB the day AFTER exercise, a musculoskeletal cause pops into my head.  When I have a rib out of place, I can feel extremely short of breath and have a good deal of chest pain, completely non-cardiac in nature.  Often it is a new exercise that brings it on.  I did some twisting yesterday and I'm paying for it in the ribs and shoulder today, hurts to even breathe deeply *sigh*  

Cardiac pain usually manifests while you're in motion, not when you rest - unless it's present both during activity AND at rest.  Push ups are a prime factor in chest pain that is musculoskeletal, by the way.

Certainly if your pain continues or is accompanied by other symptoms, don't hesitate to get it looked into.  But your age, clean bill of health and recent push-ups tell me it's likely not your heart.

I think it is great that you're taking measures to improve your health picture :)  Hang in there.
I am a Registered Nurse, however have never worked in Cardiac.  That said, I want to give you my thoughts.  The above comment is not entirely accurate.  As for cardiac pain, it is possible to happen when resting, not exclusively during exercise, when one has coronary heart disease.  The pain may well be muscular in origin, but with your significant family history, I would take no chances and call your doctor today to at least speak with the nurse to have her triage your symptoms.  Your doctor may say it is ok to wait until your scheduled visit, or they may want to see you sooner.
Best of luck to you!