Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest pain from stress? 24 year old male

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I am a 24 yr old male, maybe a few pounds overweight but generally good health, no medical history to speak of.  I am fairly active although this past 8 months I haven't been nearly as active due to weather/allergies

About a week ago I began to suffer from a nagging chest pain.  I get bad allergies this time of year and it is not uncommon for me to have muscle pains associated with violent sneezing and coughing but this felt more severe... It is often in the right center of my chest and sometimes one the far left, right under my armpit.  This has persisted although it is slowly getting better.  The first day I was somewhat numb in the left arm but that has passed, now it feels like my right arm is bruised. It should also be noted that up until 2 days ago I have been under a huge amount of stress, I wont go into details but it is more stress than I have ever had to deal with.  I have also recently started a new job which has me working odd hours...in the past stress has usually coincided with stomach pains, which I am also experiencing a bit of.  An ultrasound a few years ago revealed nothing and I was told to limit stress, which I have up until last week.  The pain is usually worse when sitting still, which unfortunately is what my job entails for 8 hours a day, and I feel better while stretching or walking.  If this is stress/panic related, how long should I expect symptoms and should I see a doctor immediately?  Thanks for your replies
l93,

thanks for the post.

You symptoms really don't sound like they are related to your heart at all.  You probably should see a physician given the chronic nature of the symptoms. It sound like this may be related to the adjustment to your new position and the stresses involved. A good history and physical could probably point you in the right direction. I would also olook into healthy ways of dealing with your stress. Most of the reason stress is associated with poor health is in the ways we deal with it such as overeating, drinking, or smoking.  

If your symptoms worsen you should seek medical attention sooner. good luck
Thank you all.  I woke up this morning feeling pretty good, a small pain in my side but nothing else.  I was really worried a few days ago.  One thing I did notice is that the more active I am, the better I feel, ie: I don't feel any pain during physical activity, although I have been fatigued lately but I know the reason for that.  Things are getting better now that the stress is gone.  I have never smoked and I've made a point to eat much better the past week and I think that has helped as well.  Maybe I'll treat myself to a round of golf, get outdoors and hopefully feel better.  The next time I feel this coming on though I think I will see a doctor,  would there be anything he could do if this was just a case of stress/panic attack?
I started getting anxiety and high bp due to stress of a new job and a new life situation (getting married) at age 28.
I had chest pain (minor) dizzyness and thought I was dieing.
I have been on BP meds and had all sorts of tests done.
Nothing conclusive except I have learned I get anxiety / depression of sorts and am on 100mg. of zoloft for it and bp meds.  I am 34 now and can relate to you.  I learned that your stressed out mind can make you have chest pain ( mild) and walks and exercise and diet can help.
Definately get your doc to check it thoroughly and tell the doc all symtoms (symptoms) complaints.  Tests dont hurt.
I think staying in shape helps and cutting out caffine and alcohol and keeping the wieght down too.  I have gotten out of shape and been drinking to much at night to ease my mind and i am now 80 lbs over a good weight for me and having heart palpitations more frequently.
"do  your best and dont worry"
what else can we do?
bigt
Thanks.
I gave in and went to my doctor as the pain hadn't quite gone away and he checked blood pressure and my heartbeat and breathing and said all was well.  My bloodpressure was 120/90 which didn't concern him much...could my stress/uneasyness contribute to it being a little high?  Should I take measures to try and lower it?  He said I am very low risk for any types of heart problems and advised me to relax/exercise more and if I still have pains in a couple weeks to see him again.  My mother has recently been told that her cholesterol is through the roof and it was recommended that all of her children get tested.  Should this be a concern at my age?
A related discussion, heart was started.
A related discussion, nagging pain at my heart was started.
A related discussion, nagging heart pain was started.