Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest pain into left arm
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chest pain into left arm

Posted by TOM M. on April 21, 1999 at 18:11:00
I'm a 30 y/o relatively healthy male.  BP is 130/80, cholesterol 125.  For the past 2 years or so I've been getting chest pains on my left side that go into my left arm.  They are short lived, painful bursts of pain.  In addition, I feel lightheaded a lot.  In addition, I noticed that my pulse is very erratic (ranging from 55-70) and that it also varies in intensity (sometimes very light to other times pounding).  I am very aware of my heartbeat, particularly when I lie down.  My wife even comments on how she can actually feel my heart beat if I'm pressed up against her. I went to my primary care phyisician who had an echocardiogram, an EKG and a chest X-ray done.  The EKG and chest X-ray were fine.  The echo showed a slight mitral and aortic valve prolapse ("nothing to worry about") and a thickening of my right ventricle wall ("nothing to worry about").  My question for you is, "Should I be worried".  Secondly, if these are not symptoms of MVP or Aortic valve problems, what in your opinion could cause these fleeting bursts of pain.  Thanks.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on April 22, 1999 at 09:15:49
Dear Tom
You should wear a Holter monitor, a portable EKG, while the symptoms of erratic heartbeat occur. This will evaluate the possibility of arrhythmia and I feel would be useful. The slight degrees of prolapse are worthy of periodic follow-up.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.