Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest pain on a 64 year old female. Cause?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Last summer, I went to the emergency because I started getting pain my on my left shoulder. I was admitted to the hospital, they took blood tests to check for enzymes, took ct scan, and xray. They all came back normal.

they released me and told me to follow up with family doctor, who then booked me for nuclear cadiolite stress tests/holter/ echo tests. The nuclear cardiolite came back normal except for the heart rate ecg when I was on the treadmill, after 5 min or so I started getting abnormal heart rate (I had reached over 100% target heart rate). The main test however were normal.

I also had a CT scan angio test ( which I was told was specifically for the heart), which came back normal.

I am a 64 year old female, with high blood pressure and diabetes. Two of my brothers have had heart bypass's however none of my 4 sisters have had any heart problems.

I have recently started having breathing problems, it feels as if someone is choking my neck. I clear my throat alot , this has been a problem in the past. I am not sure whether this is related to the heart?

my symptoms in detail. I get pain on my left side, under my left breast, sharp pain in my back, which sometimes radiates down my arm, jaw, pain in my left leg (knee and ankle). This pain has been with me since last summer, and subsided for 1 month but it came back after again.

I can post my results in detail here, I just want to know whether this pain is related to the heart ? or not?

I would really appreciate it if someone can shine a light into my situation as this has deteriorated my lifestyle for the past year.

Thank you very much in advance.

Thanks for the detailed question. The symptoms that you describe do not sound like typical heart-related pain. It lasts only for seconds at a time, is not worse with exertion or exercise, and is sharp. Additionally, the tests that you describe: bloodwork, echocardiogram, ECG, Holter monitor, CT angio, and various stress tests. You do have hypertension, diabetes, and a family members with early onset coronary artery disease, which are all risk factors for coronary artery disease. However, you should be reassured that all of your testing so far does not identify any heart related problems. It is still important to work on modifying your risk factors: eat a heart healthy diet, maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, manage your blood pressure and cholesterol. In terms of other causes for your symptoms, a full exam and history would be helpful. Perhaps you have musculoskeletal pain. It is not clear to what extent anxiety is contributing to your symptoms.
Also to add in. I do not smoke, drink. I am average weight.

Symptoms, I do not get dizzy, no headaches, no eyesight problems, no weakness feeling.

Main thing are the sharp chest pains.
I am really sorry to keep posting but to ADD on .

I am keeping my BP controlled with the meds, it is in the normal range. i.e 137/79.

the pain does NOT get worse with going for a walk however it did once happen. most of the time, it does not get worse with stress. the pain seems to happen at random times, it lasts for seconds and goes.

ECG's done mutiple times were normal.

Lastly, i wanted to add, I use to do exercises where i would stretch my arms using the door and work my muscles. could this be a chest muscle pain? costochondritis? its been months now...

lastly the doctor prescribed me Xanax and it has helped with the breathing problem and chest pains slightly.

Sorry for the long read, i just wanted to point out everything.

breathing has become problematic for the past two weeks.