Heart Disease Community
Chest pain on the left side?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Chest pain on the left side?

I woke up about 3 months ago with terrible chest pain, hot flashes, chills, pounding heart, erratic heart rate, numbness in limbs and severe abdominal cramping. I saw a doctor the next day who did blood tests and an EKG. He said I was fine and that it was just an anxiety attack. A week later my symptoms worsened considerably and I went to the ER. They also ran blood tests and an EKG and said I was fine. They also did a head CAT scan and that came back normal. They also said anxiety attacks and told me to see a therapist. I did. The therapist wasn't entirely sure that my symptoms were not something other than anxiety so she had me go get a third opinion. That clinic checked me and said my lymph nodes were swollen and that I had a low grade fever. They said this was not indicative of anxiety and they began treating me for a bowel infection. I've been on Doxycycline for 2 weeks and most of my symptoms have gone but the chest pains have become much more frequent. I went back to the clinic and they said my blood pressure was 110/80 (which they said is fine) and that my heart was a bit fast. 96 BPM. They didn't seem to think it was cardiac or pulmonary so my question is what else could it be? Is it serious? It is a sharp pain just below my left breast and sometimes radiates to beneath my left arm. Lately it has been more of an achy feeling and it lasts for hours sometimes. Not constant but coming and going every few minutes over the course of a few hours. There is no tenderness when I touch my chest and the pains occur at different times and even when I am at rest. I have a feeling of not getting enough oxygen on and off throughout the day. Usually when I have chest pain the veins in my left wrist and hand become much more prominent. It will look like my hands have been marked with purple ink! I had an uncle die in 2008 with Marfan's syndrome and in 2009 I had an echocardiogram to check my heart for the same problem. That test also came back normal. I currently have an inhaler that I am to use when my breathing becomes difficult. The clinic's nurses say that my infection might have caused "reactive asthma" and that may explain the heart rate and breathing trouble. Should I still be concerned? I am currently uninsured and getting doctors to run actual tests is difficult. I am 24 years old, 5'2 and 104 pounds. Non smoker, I don't drink or do drugs, no caffeine. I used to exercise frequently until these problem surfaced. I am currently adding walking back into my daily routine. My life has not been particularly stressful except for the pains and recent illness but those things both started at the same time. Sorry for the long message but I am extremely concerned! I have a 3 year old daughter to care for and this has made it so difficult. I appreciate any advice or insight you can give! Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, if with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. The pain can also be due to orthopedic related causes like cervical rib, cervical spondylosis or disc prolapse. A simple x-ray will help and an orthopedician can guide you. Please consult your primary care physician who may refer you to an orthopedician if needed. Take care.