Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest pain on the left side?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Chest pain on the left side?

I woke up 3 months ago with a pounding heart, erratic heart rate, chest pains, numbness in limbs, nausea, severe abdominal cramps and hot flashes. I went to a doctor the same day and after an EKG and blood tests declared I was fine and that it was probably an anxiety attack.  A week later I went to the ER when my symptoms worsened considerably. They did another EKG, more blood tests and a head CT scan and they also told me it was an anxiety attack. The recommended I see a therapist which I did. The therapist was not entirely sure that my symptoms were not a physical health problem so she told me to go to a clinic to get a third opinion. I went to the clinic she suggested and they found I had a bowel infection. I've been on Doxycycline for 2 weeks now and most of symptoms have gone but the chest pains are getting more frequent. It is a sharp stabbing pain below my left breast that sometimes radiates to under my left arm. It can come and go every few minutes for up to several hours. I've also had a feeling of not getting enough air. Also, when my chest hurts the veins in my left hand and wrist are more prominent than usual. It looks like my veins have been traced with purple marker. I went back to the clinic and they listened to my lungs and heart and said everything sounds fine.They said my BP is fine at 110/80. The only problem was that my heart was quite fast, 96 bpm. They gave me a prescription for an inhaler to help when I feel like I'm not getting enough air.  My uncle died in 2008 from Marfans Syndrome. In 2009 I had an echocardiogram done to ensure I didn't have a similar problem. The results came back normal. I am 24 years old, 5'2", 104 pounds. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs or drink caffeine.  I used to be fairly active before these recent issues. I am also uninsured so getting referrals or tests run is extremely difficult. . Do these pains sound serious? What could it be caused by?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Generally speaking, your age and your symptoms place you in a low-risk category for cardiovascular disease to be causing your symptoms. Cardiac pain typically last longer than a few minutes, but also does not last several hours at a time. This being said, I think your symptoms do warrant a thorough evaluation. I think a great place to start would be with your primary doctor. True, your symptoms could be related to anxiety, but you want to make sure other etiologies are explored first. You may need a chest xray, pulmonary testing, and so forth. Good luck.