Heart Disease Community
Chest pain right before period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Chest pain right before period

I am a 38 year old female. After having my 2nd child, 4 years ago, I started keeping track of heart papitations/chest pain that I was having. It seemed to be 1-2 weeks before I started my period. I had an ultrasound/stress test 2 years ago and everything came out fine. However, I am still having these chest pains and sometimes shortness of breath (especially when I workout).
I am not one to go to the doctor often, so I am hoping this is nothing serious. Is there anything I should be looking in to or should I not worry since the ultrasound came back fine 2 years ago?
According to the charts, I am 20lbs overweight; however I do work out 3 times a week (cardio and weight training).
HELP! ...
I get palpitations at ovulation (2 weeks before my period) and again around 3 days before.  It's a guarantee.  I hate it.

The evaluation you had two years ago might need a re-check, but if your symptoms haven't changed in two years it may not yield anything new.  Chest pain should be looked at, particularly if it is happening when you are exercising.  It could be something as simple as a stretched muscle...but you never know.
Thank you very much for your comment. I was hoping there was somebody else out there who experiences the same thing. I appreciate it.
I am only 24 and I experience chest pain two weeks before my period. I also experience small cramps on one of my knees. This always happens.
I'm now 28 and I've had this problem since I've been 26. I get extremely painful chest pains a week before my period. It ramps up and then down again a few days later when my period starts. I've had every test and doctor known to mankind. No one has given me an answer. I felt very much alone in this regard but it seems as if many women on the web have voiced this same issue. If you find any more information, I would be grateful. I've had 3 gynecologists tell me they can't help me. One gastrointerologist tell me it's heartburn (but it's not related to the food i eat!), cardiologists tell me i'm healthy as a clam, lung specialist tell me nothing. I'm sorry you have to deal with this too. It can really get a person down!
I am 36 years old.  I have been having heart palpitations about a week or so before my period.  It started about 2 years ago, but I'm just now figuring out that it is happening around my period.   I finally decided to keep track.  What is this?   I can't say that for me that it is exactly painful, but I am literally skipping a beat every 10 to 20 seconds, which makes it very hard to sleep or function some times.  Not to mention, it scares me to death!  I have a doctor's appointment to check for high blood pressure in a couple of weeks, but I have my own suspicions on what it could be.  I am thinking that I am probably retaining water about the time it starts, so I am wondering if a diaretic would help.  I am so glad I am not the only one having this problem, although I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  Please keep me updated, if you find anything out.
Hi there. At times I also feel that I'm getting palipitations but not as severly as you are. Have you seen a cardiologist? I'm planning to see an endocrinologist as this problem seems to be related to my hormones? I will keep you posted!
I am 44 and have been getting PVCs for 5 years about 2 weeks out from my cycle with an occasional few thrown into the mix at other times. Saw a cardiologist who did a full workup, normal heart just skipped beats due to hormone fluctuations. She told me this is VERY common, it won't stop your heart...many people get them but few are aware of them because some people are just more conscious of changes in their bodies. I decided to take a beta blocker, Atenolol, low does of 25 mg a day, it helps keep adrenaline from spiking, lower BP and pulse, does NOT make me tired, just keeps me from getting a lot. I cut out caffiene and work out just as hard as ever...the more you exercise my doc told me that of course a stronger heart muscle and even though mine is ok, more exercise may lessen them as well. Anxiety when you worry about them just makes things worse, try coughing to get your heart in a normal rhythm if they get too crazy...just a few times...go do something physical...most of these are felt at rest when you are really aware of them.
stay hydrated and take magnesium helps the heart pain
I have exactly the same problem.  I'm a 41 year old female, and the discomfort started about 2 years ago.  The discomfort is always on my left side, upper chest area.  Sometimes it's a burning sensation; sometimes it's just an ache; sometimes it radiates along my shoulder and arm.  It took me a while to realize that it is linked to my menstral cycle.  The discomfort starts a few days before my period and lasts until a few days after it ends.   My OBGYN said it's a pinched nerve; my MD did an EKG and that came out fine.    I'm not sure who to turn to.  I'm glad to hear that others are experiencing the same thing!     I suspect that it has something to do with hormones affecting my blood flow.
I don't get chest pain but i notice that my pulse rate at rest goes up 2 weeks before my period.  I tend to notice irregular beats once my period has started.

I'm also aware that my anxiety levels reach a fever pitch a week before my period.  The week after my period has started is the only time i feel normal  :-(  

I've told the doctor as i wonder whether it's not good for the heart to have all these hormone fluctuations ......so i've decided that 2 weeks before my period i'm going to take Agnus Castus and see if it helps blanace the hormones and relieve me of all these weird symptoms.

Others might want to try agnus castus but of course check that it's ok for you to take it and that it doesn't interact badly with any medicenes that you might be taking.
I heard is caused by perimenopause which can start 10-15 years before menopause.  Something to do with your hormones and especially during ovulation when you try to ovulate but your body is having difficulty so your hormones keep rising.

I'm 29 and have heart pain / heart vibrations and palpitation during ovulation and about a week before period, I also have something which feels like there is air around the heart, once my period starts the palpitations gets relieved.  I have Aortic insufficiency on a Mild degree.  

I took Magnesium, which helped when my Magnesium levels were too low from a unbalanced diet, but have found that when you take Magnesium supplements and you have enough Magnesium in your diet the heart problem gets worse.

One tip, stay away from Carbonated drinks, they deplete your Magnesium.  And look up other things you consume regulary like coffee which also depletes normal Magnesium levels.  Diuretics is not a good idea, they also deplete Magnesium.

I am pretty healthy 25yo female who has been experiencing the same symptoms prior to and during most every period since my first at age 15. I have asked quite a few doctors about these symptoms and have had many reactions from chest x-rays (although not while experiencing symptoms) to "oh you're a mystery" to "if it gets worse let us know." I have since found an article on Pericarditis and wondered if thats what I could be experiencing and if it is ever a case where it is related to menstruation.
My symptoms have been occurring 1-2 weeks before and a few days into my period. I experience pain when I lay on my back or on my side, and it subsides when I lay on my stomach. Its a somewhat sharp pain on the upper left side in my chest which seems to radiate to the upper left side of my back in a fairly localized area. It is more painful the deeper I breath.
I have also recently (within the last 2 months) started taking birth control and have noticed that I experience the pain, no longer prior to my period but right when I start my period after beginning the sugar pills.
Hi, I am a 26-year-old 5'2" 120lbs who works as an RN in an ICU area. I just want to stress how unsafe it is to take extra magnesium without consulting with a doctor. Having too high or too low of the three electrolytes Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium can cause heart arrhythmias. Your doctor will draw lab work to see if you are deficient in any of these electrolytes. With that said....I experience the same problem. I have left sided chest pain that starts within a few days of my menstrual period. My EKG is completely normal, but when I went in for an echocardiogram, which is like an ultrasound of the heart, I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. This is not usually a bad diagnosis, though. Research shows that you can lead a normal life unless it is severe. This is NOT a diagnosis for you or anyone on here. I was just sharing my story.
I'm going through the same thing! about 2 weeks before my period, pains in upper left chest. This has been going on about a yr. Went to the hospital they couldnt find anything wrong. Its so weird because its new
I have had very strange things going on for more than a year.  Today I started my period and had quick (2-5 sec.) pain in my upper left chest. This happened about 4 times...pain...no pain...pain again. Anyway, most of my problems are directly related to my periods. I have random symptoms anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 days before I start. Some months are worse than others.  My symptoms range from swollen hands to tingling extremities.  I feel as though I have trouble breathing and often have a strange feeling in my chest.  I also feel very depressed and anxious around this time of the month.  I never know what  it is going to be like and I dread at least 2 weeks out of every month.  Can a severe fluctuation in hormone levels actually cause a heart attack?  I was in the ER last November and they said it was anxiety and maybe my gallbladder...What?  I told them that I was very aware of the anxiety, but I believe it is due to all of the problems I'm having.  I'm afraid my husband thinks I'm a hypochondriac, but I know something is wrong.  I do not believe it is normal to feel bad more than 50% of the time.  So, my symptoms are...weakness, headachs, cannot sleep well, trouble breathing, chest pain, anxiety, depression, swollen hands, tingling.  I feel better a few days after I start, but before I start my period I never know how my body is going to react...   Any advice?  
I also have expereinced chest pains prior to menstruation. It's not every month but becoming every month. It's a sharp pain. Everytime I see a doctor for it, everything comes back normal. I will have pain from mimimal to strong for about 1 to 2 weeks before my period and as soon as I bleed the pain stops. Miy doctors so far have not correlated the 2 (chest pain and menstrual cycle.)
I was told I have costochondritis which is just the inflammation of the rib cage.I'm glad i'm not the only person with this issue. I thought I was going crazy with chest pain prior to period. That's not a normal PMS symptom I learned in school. I never had PMS issues prior to this chest pain.
i am 43 years old and i have the same problem , palpitation , chest pain , and all this 1 or 2 week befoe my period  this just start this year , i am filling better to read a lot of you have same this , i hope is not serious thing . i am going to check with my dr, some friend say it may be a premenopausse.
Hi Ladies,

OMG, what a GOD send finding this!  I've experienced this also but it happened for me (27yrs, 5'9, 200lbs) the first time in Nov 2010.  Severe chest/back pains on my left side then switched to the right side so felt like my whole back/chest was: how do you say, perhaps in a Charly-Horse like feel?  like my inside we're being smushed almost.  very uncomfortable but of a truth I share: I took Aleve and within minutes the pain was 90% gone.  Am currently awaiting my NP to call me back because I'll go get checked still.  But feel SO MUCH better after reading this and also knowing an over-the-counter medicine solved the issue.  My period should be here in a week/1.5 week.  Try Aleve Ladies or whatever you take for your menstrual cramps etc.  Hope this helps and thank you all for sharing!  Very good. Thank you.
Hi - I'm just going to add, realizing this is an old discussion, but for anyone who stumbles across it as I did, desperately searching "Palpitations chest pain menstruation" as apparently a lot for us have, that I've had the same experience.  I'm 38, in shape, no known heart problems and have periodically experienced arrhythmias and chest pains, but only in the last year  when it's been a regular thing and severe enough to keep me awake at night have I realized it's always right before my period.
I will continue to monitor my symptoms and see a doctor regularly, as I hope everyone here will, just to be safe, but it does sound like it's a hormone issue, and maybe worsening for some of us as we approach menopause.  Thanks to Rae for posting the question - I swear, if doctors read message boards they would learn a lot more about women's health!  
i am a 26 yr old female and i experience pain a week to a week and a half before my period much like the pains you all have described but my pains are on the right side of my body instead of my left... i get the first pain about 8 days before my period and a second pain about 5-6 days before my period... i have trouble breathing and the pain radiates from my chest just under my ribcage to around my back and lasts for 3-6 hours.... i have been to the hospital and had ultrasounds and blood tests but everything has come back normal.... i found having a hot shower helps numb the pain but as soon as i get out of the shower the pain comes back..... any advice?
I'm so glad to see that others are experiencing heart issues prior to the start of the monthly cycle.  It took me almost a year to realize that the scary chest pains I've been experiencing coincide with menstruation.  I'm a very healthy 42 year old who has visited the doctor and even the ER for very intense heart-attack like symptoms only to be told that they can find nothing wrong with me.  It is frightening (particularly as a mom with young children) because I still don't know what is causing this, what I can do to solve this, and ultimately if it could lead to serious medical complications.  I'd appreciate any advice or insight anyone might be able to render!!
I've been doing this for a while. I also get the feeling on some months during ovulation that the wind has been knocked out of me and I am so weak, I have to lie down. I have no idea what's going on. It's been happening for the last 5 years. I'm 44 now. I hope people post back to keep everyone updated. It's pretty scary.
I've been going through the same thing and know that this is DEFINITELY hormone-related.  I hate to be negative but most doctors are just stupid and if we are going to find the answer, we have to research and try to solve this ourselves.  This is obviously a real problem. I would suggest, and I am going to do the same, that we have our hormones checked when the symptoms are occurring.  That is the only way to find out.  Also, as someone else mentioned, your magnesium drops before and during menstruation which can cause all these symptoms so try a magnesium supplement.  The quality of the supplement is important.  I would suggest ionic magnesium because it is the best quality and will not cause any stomach issues.  If you take the cheap stuff, it will make you go to the bathroom a lot, which could make the deficiency worse.  The ionic is more expensive but worth it because it .  I hope this helps a little.  We have to be our own health advocates because unfortunately you can't trust most health professionals.  
I too have been a sufferer of this for many years.  The muscular pain on the left side of the chest started when I was 17 and the palpitations (PVC's) started when i was 27.  I also took me some time to make the connection with a menstrual cycle link.  I have had ECG's, Echo's, Blood tests, Cardiologist and all come back 'healthy'.  I have since gotten anxiety from the whole thing because it completely takes over my life.  I have one week out of every month where I feel OK. My next step is to check my hormones in a blood test, but am wondering whether or not it will be useful because hormones fluctuate several times a month and what is 'normal' one week, may not be the next.  Its a bit of a relief to know that I am not a crazy hypochondriac and other women are going through the same thing and I can have some feedback.  I am going to try Evening Primrose Oil for a few months...has anyone ever had success with EPO?

Wow!  I am 43 and have this for years as well.  I've always asked other women if they experience chest pains with menstruation and they look at me like I'm crazy.  I also have had every heart workout known to man and they always come out perfectly normal.  Would be nice to find out what the cause is and if there is a solution.  I can only guess that it is somehow related to the water retention that is associated with PMS.  Hope we all find out the answer soon :)  Good luck to all!
I too have chest pain right before my period. No severe pain but enough to be aware of it. It's a quick shooting pain in the middle of my chest - goes just as quickly as it comes on. I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy and alone in this because when you mention it to doctors they have no idea what you are talking about. Just a quick question - do any of you have endometriosis or take birth control pills? Just curious if there is any connection to either of these.
Thank you so much for posting this issue!!! I have the same problem right now!!! It's been happening for many years now and recently I feel like I'm just going to go CRAZY as I think its a hart issue & I' oing to die :( hope not for a long time as I'm 38 y old & have young family :( I did see hart specialist 2 y ago and been told that I have enlarged valve, told me not to get worried as many people have that but live normal life......but I'm going crazy!!!! that's why I jumped on the intrnet to check whether anyone else has the same issue. Hopefully its only chage in hormones:) I wish that our voices are heard & medical practicioners realize we not making up things as when I see my GP he says its funny as it's the first time that he hears conection with perid cycle & hart palputation & chest pain....Thank you all for sharing the story I'll try to settle myself as I'm not alone...hopefully will get solution for this :)
The world of Google!!!!

For the past 6 months, I've had this reoccurring SHARP left (ONLY left) chest pain that (naturally) started to scare me once I felt it "spread" beyond my left shoulder down my arm. (the third remembered incident).

I am 35, avid runner, 45BPM resting heartbeat.....in shape!  Eat well;  my only vice is my too-occasional cup(s) of coffee (daily). (1-5 depending on the day).

The time this pain occurred at the end of May, 2011---it was just scary!  I was incapacitated; as I literally couldn't do much except mope off to bed and PRAY that sleep found me.  It was so painful to breath;  couldn't take deep breaths.  The pain felt quite sharp, and constant pressure---location seemed to be "surrounding" my heart on the upper left and lower right sides.  Ibuprofin is my drug of choice, but nothing helped.  This incident was the 3rd that I really remember, and they were reoccurring every 3-4 weeks (my only simple recollection at that time.)

In June, I felt the oncoming of this pain again, and I FEARED for the rest of that day, so I headed in to the ER, simply fearful of the unknown.  Heart attack?  Heart problems?  EKG and heart ex-rays showed an excellent heart; no other tests were done.  Doc didn't know or have much to say.....was giving me the "must be skeletal/muscular" speech and had me follow an ibuprofin regime for the next 5 days.  That week, the pain never reached that of May's episode, BUT it lasted for 4-5 days before I felt back to normal.  Maybe the ibuprofin WAS doing something afterall?

NOW!  It's happening again.  And I just started menstruation this morning.  This got me to thinking about June's episode----the nurse asked me when I last menstruated, and I KNEW I was due to start any day.  Sure enough, the next day, my cycle started.

So, I thought......hmmm....maybe a connection?  So---goggle lead me here.  Is there a connection?  I'm thinking YES!

I used to take birth control pills for much of my adulthood, however no longer have a need to for the past 5 years and have never had any pain like this (that I recollect).   I only recall this pain for the past 6 months.  So, I'm trying to put pieces together to make sense of this.

My pain ranges from minor dullness to ACHING, SHARP, CONSTANT PRESSURE POINTS.  It mostly is noticed in the upper pectoral region near the shoulder joint, however can seem to travel over the shoulder/down arm at times, and also migrates to the inner left breast area (which is the most painful.)

I realize my post/comment is lengthy, but like many of you, I'm glad I found this list and simply want to debug my symptoms too.  I will observe more for the next month or so.
Hi Ladies,

I cannot believe that there are so many of us women, suffering from the same symptoms.

I have been getting heart palpitations from last year May, I was admitted to the hospital this year February coz I thought I was having a heart attack(I am 30yrs old). It turns out I have Gallstones but Im looking after that.
I have such weird syptoms (symptoms) here are a few or them, I get pains in my veins on the left side of my body my veins turns dark blue at times, I have chest pains,severe cramps on the left side of my abdomen.I have severe pain in my uperback on the left and it spreads to my shouldder. I also experience pain just under my left breast and at times it feels like it is bubbling ( which makes me think its gas but its not). Pains in the left side of my neck feels like may vein is going to pop & the painruns to my head left side at times.

I have been to so many doctors and they always telling me it is indigestion or Acid reflux.I take the meds but I don't feel any better.
I have noticed that is come about a week or two before my period and during my period too, I only feel normal on week in the month.

I don't know what to do anymore as it feels like this pain is taking over my life, it is changing my personality and I am becoming a person that does not want to be around alot of people. It also takes a toll on my husband and son as when I have the pain I prefer to be alone and not bothered.

I dont know what to do anymore, I am going for a scan this week again and I will have to see what the doctors diagnoses are.

I have been to a Homeopathic Doctor too and will try Homeopathic remedies because it help me with my Gallstones hoping it will help me with this pain.I am also going to try Accupunture to relieve my body from this pain.Willing to try anything.

So tired of it of complaining I just go quiet when I am in pain now:-(
Hello all,

I am a 39 year old women with a very similar experience to many of you!  For the past two years I have had reoccurring pain on the left side of my chest that I recently realized is definitely related to my hormone levels/menstural cycle.  

In the past I have been to my family doctor and the emergency room - both suggesting the issue was psychological since they could not find any cause.  I was eventually referred to a cardiologist and had a stress test last Fall - which showed no concerns.  

I was diagnosed with PCOS (a very common hormone imbalance) two years ago so I started to look for a connection there and found some validating information!!  "The Savvy Women's Guide to PCOS" (2006) by Elizabeth Lee Vliet talks about heart sypmtoms being related to a drop of estradiol prior to mensturation.  I just talked to my gynocologist about trying one of the specific birth control pills the author suggested to provide a better balance (Yasmin or Diane 35) and I am excited about seeing the impact on my symptoms.

Hopefully that information is helpful to someone - I understand the frustration of physicians having never heard of such a connection!
Wow. I have been going through the same thing for a couple of years. Though I never put it together with my cycle. I wouldn't describe my feelings as pain, but more of a sensation. At its worst, I get a quick pinching feeling in my upper left chest. It always scares me because it appears as if it's right on top of the vein that runs horizontally over to my shoulder. Sometimes I get a bit of a tingling sensation or something lighter than that on my left arm. Sometimes an odd feeling in the arm pit. Occasionally a heavy feeling, but not difficult to breath in the center of my chest. That part has never hurt, it's just an odd feeling. Two years ago I freaked out and saw a cardiologist. Had an EKG and an ultrasound. Everything came back fine. Dr. said that I had no problems and since I didn't have any risk factors, that I shouldn't be worried. He said that it's not uncommon for a woman my age to get an occasional rapid heart beat. So here I am again feeling "off." I'm constantly focusing on every odd feeling I get. I decide to google chest pain during ovulation and I landed here. Surprised to find so many women with the same symptoms. I'm going to try and relax about it all and see what happens next month.
I have the same thing and read just now that low estrogen levels around the time of your period cause heart problems.  It's along the same lines as the increase in the number of heart attacks in post menopausal women when the hormone levels are at their lowest.
Thank you for posting this. I have been experiencing the same thing for years. One of doctor said it was all in my head. I felt hopeless. I have had a lot of test and met several specialists. No one seems to figure out what is causing this problem. Often times, I feel tired and heaviness on chest before, during and end of my period. Some days, I have to take a nap. I will ask my dacotor to check my hormone level again. I hope some day, one of our doctors will fugure out what is going on.
Hi all,

I'm glad i found this site as i also have been suffering with severe chest pain which began about 4 months ago. At first it began with severe headaches which i knew had something to do with my cycle, but recently i've began with the chest pain. Like many of you, i went to the A&E and doctors and had all the usual tests done which came back normal. Having read the articles here, i am convinced it is a hormone thing so i am going to discuss my problems with the doctors and look more into this. Thankyou all as this has helped me so much.
So now that we have each other to get us through this mess....please tell me why a DOC can not tell me how to fix it.  I think there should be some kind of research on this...  If it was a man who had this problem you know that the Gov would have something in the works by now
I am a 28 year old female. This has never happened until now. I am 2-3 days before getting my period. I have intense pains every 10-20 seconds in my heart/left side of my chest or if I move my left arm too suddenly or pick up something heavy. It feels almost like a sharp pain/cramp in my heart. At first I thought it was heartburn, but I took medicine (pepcid etc) and realized it was not heartburn. After reading this forum I took Aleve and it made it feel much better for about 8 hours and then I have to take another aleve as I start to feel the pains again.
Do you really think this is hormone/period related or could this be something more serious? Do these symptoms sound familiar?
I'm 38 yrs old and i've been experiencing heart palpitations monthly right before my period or after my body attempts to ovulate.  I've seen many doctors endocrinologist, cardiologist, gyno, primary dr and none have been able to help me.  During my most recent episode yesterday the Emergency Room gave me some beta blockers.  Does anyone know what type of Dr. would specialize in this issue.  It's very scarey and upsetting to me I'm not sure where to turn.
I am a registered nurse and I work on a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit.  I have seen people of all ages have heart problems and just because you exercise, eat right and have great labs and one good ekg does not mean that you don't have a blockage or can't suddenly develope cardiac dissarythmia's.  Never take chest pain of any sort lightly. I am 42 and I too have PMS and my primary physician was against me having any hormon at all due to the increased risk of cancer and heart disease which should be a hugh consideration.  Anyone who reads these post and has not been to a cardiologist or has not sought immediate medical care in a hospital with a cardiac unit for any chest pain please do so and do not wait.  Your life could  depend on it.   Dial 911.  These "test" that are done in office can not see the inside of the cardiac vessels.  Don't kid yourself.    
I am 22 and been dealing with this for a while now it is usually controlled with BC but every 6 months or so i have to change pills cuz it stops working. Have you guys been perscribed anything that works to prevent this? or painkillers for when it starts
I'm having the chest pains also (right now). I've been aware of them for about two or three years now. Recently, they began the day I actually had cardiac ablation for WPW. I know it must be period related. I went to the hospital a couple times for the pain and have been given pain killers and even told to take antacids. I've had x-rays, CAT scans and the works. I am healthy, work out 3/4 times a week, and am fine until my period creeps around. Just gotta pray ladies, because what doctors can't do I at least know God can fix. Amen.
Went to the hospital this morning because the kleft chest pain I associate with my period was so bad.
No cardio problems - was annoyed to be treated as a hysterical woman and told to take more painkillers.
Glad I ma not alone. I firs mentioned the symptoms to my GP about 20 years ago, without associating them with my periods - he did some cardio tests and fond nothing. Since then I've been complaining to my gynecologist regularly, who is also dismissive.
As was A&E this morning. I will circulate this thread to them all. However I see no solutions... do any of you have any helpful feeback?
I am so glad I found this.  I'm having chest pains right now and was considering going to the ER.  I'm 35 and have been having these pains for the past year.  I've been keeping track and they're usually a week or so before my cycle.  Mine are more of an aching feeling on the right side of my chest and it's very uncomfortable.  
i am 48 i have had chest pain befor my periods for at least 15 yrs no doctor thinks its to do with my periods, but what else could it be!. none of my friends have this so im a bit relieved to read other people have this.
I have just started feeling similar symptoms.  I went to the cardiologist and have a strong healthy heart.  From what I have researched online, estrogen dominance can cause palpitations.  I am going to try progesterone cream on days 16 to 25 of this month's cycle to see if that helps!
It may be worth checking out to see whether any of you have endometriosis. A much under diagnosed condition, linked with hormones and periods, and which can cause all these symptoms.

Google it, and check out this link:
http://www.****.com/symptoms.html
I'm so relieved I found this discussion page.  I've had the same sudden, sharp, stabbing left side chest pain for a few years now.  It starts under my left breast, subsides within 2 - 5 minutes.  It hurts to breath or move too much.  It's very much debilitating for a moment or two. The pain sometimes radiates or travels down my left arm.  Very scarey with my family history of heart disease!

I'm 27 years old, overweight but healthy.  I've been diagnosed with costrochondritis and told to take (lots of) Ibuprofen 800mg as needed which has done nothing but make my stomach worse.  Then my chiropractor told me my front ribs were out - which they were but this did not help the specific pain I was talking about.  

Until now, I never thought of the connection with my menstrual cycle.  Although we all seem to be frustrated and not having an answer as to what is happening I definately feel relief in knowing I'm not alone.  

I have an appointment with my PCP soon and hopefully can enlighten her on this connection.
Thank you!
I was having extreme pms and never started then felt better and now I am on my menstrual and my heart started hurting I'm 30 yrs old and this is the very 1st time this has happened. Any suggestions?
I'm having heart pains today for the very 1st time and I started my cycle late. Also I was having pms symptoms and aches on my regular cycle time then today would be last day of cycle and I started with period and heart hurting. I'll be 30 next month today.
I know this is an older post, but just curious if you are still experiencing these pains??
I started back in Aug 2011 with severe left side chest pains waking me up in the middle of the night as if I were having a heart attack - I was 33, now 34.  In fairly good health. This past Feb. the pain was so out of control I went thru the battery of test at the cardiologist and at my primary and everything is normal!  Then I put things together that it seems to cyclic!!  It seems quite bizarre to me!
I have a 2 year old and I am still on the pill.  Have any drs come to a conclusion for you as to the cause of this?
Thanks for any insight! This chest pain is so annoying every month, especially since it's on the left side!
Same thing here!  It's always before, during, or right after my period. I saw a holistic dr/ chiropractor and my hormones are all out of wack during that time. He game me some natural supplements to help support the ovaries, etc., but I'm still getting them. I'm also 30 yrs old and this has been going on about 9 months, but I've only have had 4 episodes. Every time, it's pretty severe pain that last about 30-45 mins. Helps to lay in a ball on my stomach. Each time it's been a different situation. Once at home, once during the night, once during a movie and the last time was during a girls night out. Can't figure out what exactly is going on, but know its related to my cycle!
I am so relieved to know that I am not alone. My family and friends are getting tired of me complaining 3 out of the 4 weeks every month. I'm suffering quietly now and it's nice to hear that I am not alone. I am 22 years old and noticed these symptoms this year. My doctor has not been much help, she insists it's heartburn and put me on protonix and a strick diet..i soon noticed that food was not the culprit and made a chart when the pain comes and goes. Soon enough I realized its a week before me period and during it. The pain completely goes away the morning I wake up after my period is over. I am so scared and do not want to be living with this for the rest of my life. I want to go to the ER because I am in so much pain but it seems like everyone gets back negative results on all the tests. I don't know what to do..
ms rae i have been having the same problems for the last two years as well
It feel like pressure on my chest sometimes, no sharp pains had EKG stress test nothing or sometimes after my cycle has finished the docors say its stress doubt it  but yes I have the same symptoms hope you feel better that you are not the only one on this
My daughter is 14 and has all of these symptoms.  Pediatrician thinks it is heartburn and put her on zantac.  That seemed to help, of course, until she just got her period again.  She is not regular yet. We thought right away that it is hormonal.  We were in the ER tonight as she was having chest pains during soccer practice.  Of course, it was fine by the time she was seen.  EKG and chest xray were normal.  I wish there was a "preventative" measure.  I hate to think she will have to suffer like all of you for years.  She seems to be more quiet and has "changed."  Not the fun-loving girl she always was.  More serious- probably due to the chest pain and worry.  For 14 this seems "normal," but not for her.  Hopefully someone finds an answer!
I am 43 years old and I started having severe chest pain just prior (48hrs) to my period a year ago. I have had three attacks.  I thought I was having a heart attack, went to ER and then transferred to a cardiologist in ICU at the Univeristy Hospital.  The ER doctors thought I had a heart attack as well and that is how I was treated.  The ICU doctor said I did not have a heart attack and all tests (extensive) ran were normal.  I just had my third attack, it was very severe.  The pain is always in the exact same location of my heart and it feels as if someone plunged a steak knife into my chest.  This last time I did not seek medical treatment and the symptoms afterward were very similar to a stroke.  Immediately during the attack I experienced cold sweats, nausea, pain in my chest, weakness, disorientation and confusion, a sharp shooting pain on the side of my head, my feet went numb and I was out of breath.  I went home and slept 4 hours and woke up exhausted and confused.  The next morning, I couldn't remember words (stuttered), what drawer my spoons were in, my passwords, my right side of my body was weak, I had confusion, I felt like I was in a fog and I was still exhausted and I had a headache spanning from where I had the shooting pain all the way across my forehead. I went and saw a doctor and he said he doesn't think I had a stroke, I am waiting for the MRI test results today.  He prescribed Nitro tabs in case of an emergency.  I am glad to know I am not the only person dealing with this issue.

Has anyone else had an attack similar?
I'm 40 and have only just started having palpitations in the last month. But it was a week before my period. But now, (during period) I'm getting upper chest/side/back pains on left hand side.  Not found any painkillers yet to kill the pain, but using heat pads eases it a bit.

I did have similar pains a couple of years ago, doctors told me it was growing pains, that was ongoing for a few months before it vanished. Loathe to return to the doctor if they're gonna tell me it's growing pains again
Wow. I am a 49 year old who's been suffering these symptoms for 2 years now, and have just reached the end of my rope with trying to get a doctor to look into it. I have been suggesting all along that it's hormone related, as all tests show I have "the heart of a 25 year old". Every month, for four to six days, I get chest pain and pressure. It is in the middle of my chest, upper area, and constant. I get short of breath, shooting pains in my shoulders and neck, the whole deal. But even trips to the ER show no heart problems.

Any suggestions (other than HRT) that people have found that are effective in minimizing this discomfort would be greatly appreciated.

I, as everyone here seems to be, am so relieved that it's not just me and I'm not crazy. :-)
I feel exactly like the rest of you... The only difference, is along with the chest pain and palpitations, I also have what can only be described as a numbness in my neck jaw and sometimes my whole face, however I can feel everything when I touch it, it just feels like it is numb.. hands and feet tingle and I have a sharp pain in my left leg.  I have been to the ER 3 times in the last 18 months ... descriped a script for nitro... acid reflux.... pain pills... and the latest an anxiety med.  I do not take any of them just deal with thinking I am going to die with my next breath... I also feel as if I am burning up at times and have ringing in my ears.... Have had all the cardio work ups and Thank God my heart is good, but if this doesn't stop it's not my heart that I am worried is going to go :)... I am 44... Thanks for posting I like the rest of you feel relieved to know it isn't just me
Hi tamar959. I feel exactly what you feel including the jaw neck pain and there is also a sharp pain in left leg.. I also have headache, feeling anxious and depress and that my nostrils are narrowing.. I had 2d echo my heart was normal and labs are fine. But at times i really worry about it like im going to die.
Hi cc0623,

Your symptoms are very similar to mine,  have you found any relief?
To all of you who don't know the cause I suggest looking up chest inflammation. It is primarily found in women but there is something that causes inflammation in the cartilage between the ribs. There are several websites that talk about ways to treat it and the causes. One of my daughters was diagnosed with it and I'm sure I have it too. The good news it's not life threatening. The bad news is it will always be there. It can be controlled for the most part. I seen a lot of posts about heart palpitations and from what I have researched on that, because I get them too, this is also a common thing. It, again, is mainly in women. there is obviously a point where it's not normal. I encourage anyone who's unsure to see a dr. I have found that the biggest way to control many of these things is to detach yourself from caffeine. This is a really difficult task for me and I still struggle with it. Caffeine is so bad for you. I have been learning just how much unnessacary junk it can cause. Anyways I hope u will find this useful and God bless and heal u all.
Hello i am 26 i have chest pain 2 weeks before my periods , and also my periods is irregular it takes 2 months so  i am suffering so much please help me what i should do with this i am so worried about my periods ..i checked with my pregency test but it is negative ...
Iam 39 i get this same problem, but only now i realize its happening around a week before my cycle, i get feeling anxious and depression, numbness in my left side of my neck that runs through my left hand, acid reflux, head aches, problem sleeping, the chest pain is in the left side, but a senation in my upper right back. i was so happy to see am not alone, however i will not take it lightly, am going in the see a Dr asap.
OMG I’m so glad I have found this page and that I’m not alone. I also experience frightening chest pains during my PMS and period. I had an ECG and blood test done and all came out normal. The doctor told me that I’m possibly suffering from anxiety, but with pains like that of course you’ll be anxious. Can anybody please help me and tell me what to do so I don’t get these frightening pains. I’m only 32 and I’m planning to have a baby very soon. I’ve been putting off having a baby, thinking there is something wrong with me and the symptoms could be worse. Do the symptoms get worse during pregnancy? Is there any other test I should take to make sure I don’t have any heart problems? Please help.
so please sis tell me that what i can do in this situation :( i m alone at home  is there any way to get relief for sometime
I am 32 and have had a miriad of issues since I turned 30. 3 months ago I also had my first bought of chest pains and heart palpitations. They came out of nowhere so automatically I began to have anxiety which only exacerbated the issue. I went to my doc, had an EKG and a thyroid test, all came back normal. I have suffered from anxiety in the past which can cause an unbelievable amount of physical symptoms. Heart palpitations being one of them however, I'm really happy and upbeat so that explanation just wasn't cutting it. Through yoga and deep meditation I have learned to stop thinking that there is something terribly wrong with me. These symptoms never get worse, they most always come the week before my period and the strange thing is the intense head pain I would get disappeared when the chest thing started to happen. I am all for going to get things checked out but when everything is coming back normal and you don't smoke, you are active and most of the time feeling good then most likely we are all dealing with hormones and age!! "Growing pains" my mom used to call them. We are all so scared that there is something wrong with us because TV and Western medicine would always have us believe that. We aren't all perfect all the time, we are beautiful, strong women, mothers, partners and friends. Women need to communicate with each other, none of us should feel alone in our pain or anxiety. This is the perfect example of how supporting each other automatically makes us feel connected. Blessings, peace and love to you all.
I had a seizure in my sleep 2 yrs ago after visiting the dr and discussing tingling numbness in my hands rapid heart beat anxiousness not being able to sleep or relax and generally having a feeling of impending doom.
At the time i was sent away with a fact sheet on tinitus!!! ( because i told them I could hear my own heart beat in my ears).
I had always suffered with my nerves and had PCOS so I was obviously labelled by them as that nutty woman who can't have kids!
After the seizure, I was diagnosed with epilepsy and thyroid disease within 3 days of each other, ( seems my panic attacks for the last 20 yrs weren't and were actually partial seizures, so not so nutty afterall) and the thyroid issues were probably the cause of the 2 miscarriages and my type 2 diabetes ( which i obviously got through stuffing my fat face with cake as far as the dr's were concerned cos you are only fat if you eat too much, not because you have a thyroid condition gone un noticed for 20 yrs). I now have found out I have a magnesium deficiency, which also causing 80% of the un pleasant side effects I have lived with for the last 20 years and been fobbed off for being 'an over anxious type'. Don't waste your life feeling ill and being told a load of rubbish just to make you feel stupid and go home like a good little girl cos Dr knows best. If you are not anxious and you don't usually feel rubbish don't be fobbed off. They get paid on patients not results and you're just a number. You wasted life sitting at home leading a sad and ill life means nothing to them. FIGHT!!!!
I would suggest getting a d-dimer blood test to make sure you don't have a P.E. I was in your situation, just started Birth Control, had chest pains and restlessness, and finally extreme shortness of breath, and it ended up being a massive pulmonary embolism, which I'm lucky to have survived. If you find yourself short of breath, please go to the hospital. I have all of the same symptoms as everyone else here after having the P.E. and it scares the heck out of me, but I've been told that it is fine and is probably linked to my hormonal cycle.
Yes..I have these exact symptoms..at worst hurts to breath in...so I have to  pant to get through it..when it is minimal..merely feels like needles inserted under my breastbone and rubbing....all 5 to 10 days before my period...I wish we could find and answer. I also went to the e.r. all was okay except they said I had a right deviated axis and slightly twisted..heart...don't laugh..its true..I know this is an old thread..but hope you get this and by now have answers..thought it was hormone exacerbated costocondroitis.. (sp?) be well, a.
Yes..I have these exact symptoms..at worst hurts to breath in...so pant to get through it..when it is minimal..merely feels like needles inserted under my breastbone and rubbing....all 5 to 10 days before my period...I wish we could find and answer. I also went to the e.r. all was okay except they said I had a right deviated axis and slightly twisted..heart...don't laugh..its true..I know this is an old thread..but hope you get this and by now have answers..thought it was hormone exacerbated costocondroitis.. (sp?) be well, a.
I have felt identical to this and had every test under the sun.  Including testing for MS. Everyone says it is nothing and I feel like no one believe's me anymore because as soon as my period starts I am fine.  I guess I am going to try to just live with it this month and start paying attention to dates.  I am glad thus far I can chalk it up to nothing serious...even though it seems really serious at the time.  Glad you posted this!
I found this post two years ago after my upper left chest pains started to become unbearable.  Sure enough;  after some monitoring, the timing of the pains matched my monthly cycle;  often during ovulation and then again during my actual period.
I am 37 and stopped taking birth control four years ago.  Interestingly enough, the chest pains started about a year after stopping BC.

Last December at my annual physical, I asked my doctor if I could have a prescription for birth control again, both the test out my own theory, but to also get regulated again.  

The first month (January '13) after starting the BC, the chest pain was still present :(  
However, that was the last BIG bout of chest pains I've had!  I only had one dull moment of pain last month; otherwise NADA!  Since being back on the pill, the chest pain has disappeared.

So, hormonal linkage???  This self-diagnosed lady thinks so!
Good luck to everyone!!!!  I, too, could not imagine going through years of the monthly chest pain.  It's crazy how hormones work and affect us.
So good to find that the scariest thing that has happened to me for about 5 years now and that I am not alone..  I have gotten to a point where I know when it is time to drink drink drink lots of water.  Seems to help me stay hydrated and get rid of extra fluid faster.  Seems to me some doctors out there should be researching this to help better figure it all out.  Anyways just wanted to say the more fluid i get rid of during my week before my period the better my chest feels.  Thanks.
wow. i don't know what to say other than echo other's sentiment that i am really relieved to find i am not alone in experiencing this. i'm 31, 5'5", 160 lbs and have been experiencing this exact same thing. it started last year when i began getting really bad headaches that i eventually concluded were linked to my cycle. in recent months the chest pain has begun - around ovulation and again about a week before my period. it's usually only bad for a day or so, but can linger for several more days. generally on the left side under my breast. i've had anxiety issues in the past, but this has pushed it into overdrive. i was not insured until recently, so now i can go for a full work up, but given that i'm generally healthy (actively losing weights, exercising regularly, eating very healthy) i've figured it was just anxiety. of course, this makes the anxiety so much worse. thank you all for sharing your experiences. if nothing else, knowing that there are others going through the same thing makes me feel less panicked. i usually take some asprin, just in case, but advil seems to be the most helpful in mitigating the pain. i also sometimes take magnesium, but not consistently - i may try doing that around this time in my cycle. i'll also try the over hydrating suggestion. hope all of us fine some relief sooner rather than later.
omg!!  that is exactly what i am experiencing....the deeper i breath the worse the pain. I am going to start documenting exactly when it starts. I definitely know it happened last month but not sure when it started. I need to pay attention where in my cycle the pain starts. Im glad to know Im not alone...not that I like that ur all having these issues.
I know how you and the other ladies feel. I have had chest pain 2 weeks prior to my period and it would stop at the first day of bleeding. I told more than one doctor including a gynecologist and they don't know why it happens. I wish there was more research on women's health and how her hormones can play a major role.