Chest pain right before period
I am a 38 year old female. After having my 2nd child, 4 years ago, I started keeping track of heart papitations/chest pain that I was having. It seemed to be 1-2 weeks before I started my period. I had an ultrasound/stress test 2 years ago and everything came out fine. However, I am still having these chest pains and sometimes shortness of breath (especially when I workout).
I am not one to go to the doctor often, so I am hoping this is nothing serious. Is there anything I should be looking in to or should I not worry since the ultrasound came back fine 2 years ago?
According to the charts, I am 20lbs overweight; however I do work out 3 times a week (cardio and weight training).
HELP! ...
ms rae i have been having the same problems for the last two years as well
It feel like pressure on my chest sometimes, no sharp pains had EKG stress test nothing or sometimes after my cycle has finished the docors say its stress doubt it  but yes I have the same symptoms hope you feel better that you are not the only one on this
My daughter is 14 and has all of these symptoms.  Pediatrician thinks it is heartburn and put her on zantac.  That seemed to help, of course, until she just got her period again.  She is not regular yet. We thought right away that it is hormonal.  We were in the ER tonight as she was having chest pains during soccer practice.  Of course, it was fine by the time she was seen.  EKG and chest xray were normal.  I wish there was a "preventative" measure.  I hate to think she will have to suffer like all of you for years.  She seems to be more quiet and has "changed."  Not the fun-loving girl she always was.  More serious- probably due to the chest pain and worry.  For 14 this seems "normal," but not for her.  Hopefully someone finds an answer!
I am 43 years old and I started having severe chest pain just prior (48hrs) to my period a year ago. I have had three attacks.  I thought I was having a heart attack, went to ER and then transferred to a cardiologist in ICU at the Univeristy Hospital.  The ER doctors thought I had a heart attack as well and that is how I was treated.  The ICU doctor said I did not have a heart attack and all tests (extensive) ran were normal.  I just had my third attack, it was very severe.  The pain is always in the exact same location of my heart and it feels as if someone plunged a steak knife into my chest.  This last time I did not seek medical treatment and the symptoms afterward were very similar to a stroke.  Immediately during the attack I experienced cold sweats, nausea, pain in my chest, weakness, disorientation and confusion, a sharp shooting pain on the side of my head, my feet went numb and I was out of breath.  I went home and slept 4 hours and woke up exhausted and confused.  The next morning, I couldn't remember words (stuttered), what drawer my spoons were in, my passwords, my right side of my body was weak, I had confusion, I felt like I was in a fog and I was still exhausted and I had a headache spanning from where I had the shooting pain all the way across my forehead. I went and saw a doctor and he said he doesn't think I had a stroke, I am waiting for the MRI test results today.  He prescribed Nitro tabs in case of an emergency.  I am glad to know I am not the only person dealing with this issue.

Has anyone else had an attack similar?
I'm 40 and have only just started having palpitations in the last month. But it was a week before my period. But now, (during period) I'm getting upper chest/side/back pains on left hand side.  Not found any painkillers yet to kill the pain, but using heat pads eases it a bit.

I did have similar pains a couple of years ago, doctors told me it was growing pains, that was ongoing for a few months before it vanished. Loathe to return to the doctor if they're gonna tell me it's growing pains again
Wow. I am a 49 year old who's been suffering these symptoms for 2 years now, and have just reached the end of my rope with trying to get a doctor to look into it. I have been suggesting all along that it's hormone related, as all tests show I have "the heart of a 25 year old". Every month, for four to six days, I get chest pain and pressure. It is in the middle of my chest, upper area, and constant. I get short of breath, shooting pains in my shoulders and neck, the whole deal. But even trips to the ER show no heart problems.

Any suggestions (other than HRT) that people have found that are effective in minimizing this discomfort would be greatly appreciated.

I, as everyone here seems to be, am so relieved that it's not just me and I'm not crazy. :-)
I feel exactly like the rest of you... The only difference, is along with the chest pain and palpitations, I also have what can only be described as a numbness in my neck jaw and sometimes my whole face, however I can feel everything when I touch it, it just feels like it is numb.. hands and feet tingle and I have a sharp pain in my left leg.  I have been to the ER 3 times in the last 18 months ... descriped a script for nitro... acid reflux.... pain pills... and the latest an anxiety med.  I do not take any of them just deal with thinking I am going to die with my next breath... I also feel as if I am burning up at times and have ringing in my ears.... Have had all the cardio work ups and Thank God my heart is good, but if this doesn't stop it's not my heart that I am worried is going to go :)... I am 44... Thanks for posting I like the rest of you feel relieved to know it isn't just me
Hi tamar959. I feel exactly what you feel including the jaw neck pain and there is also a sharp pain in left leg.. I also have headache, feeling anxious and depress and that my nostrils are narrowing.. I had 2d echo my heart was normal and labs are fine. But at times i really worry about it like im going to die.
Hi cc0623,

Your symptoms are very similar to mine,  have you found any relief?
To all of you who don't know the cause I suggest looking up chest inflammation. It is primarily found in women but there is something that causes inflammation in the cartilage between the ribs. There are several websites that talk about ways to treat it and the causes. One of my daughters was diagnosed with it and I'm sure I have it too. The good news it's not life threatening. The bad news is it will always be there. It can be controlled for the most part. I seen a lot of posts about heart palpitations and from what I have researched on that, because I get them too, this is also a common thing. It, again, is mainly in women. there is obviously a point where it's not normal. I encourage anyone who's unsure to see a dr. I have found that the biggest way to control many of these things is to detach yourself from caffeine. This is a really difficult task for me and I still struggle with it. Caffeine is so bad for you. I have been learning just how much unnessacary junk it can cause. Anyways I hope u will find this useful and God bless and heal u all.
Hello i am 26 i have chest pain 2 weeks before my periods , and also my periods is irregular it takes 2 months so  i am suffering so much please help me what i should do with this i am so worried about my periods ..i checked with my pregency test but it is negative ...
Iam 39 i get this same problem, but only now i realize its happening around a week before my cycle, i get feeling anxious and depression, numbness in my left side of my neck that runs through my left hand, acid reflux, head aches, problem sleeping, the chest pain is in the left side, but a senation in my upper right back. i was so happy to see am not alone, however i will not take it lightly, am going in the see a Dr asap.
OMG I’m so glad I have found this page and that I’m not alone. I also experience frightening chest pains during my PMS and period. I had an ECG and blood test done and all came out normal. The doctor told me that I’m possibly suffering from anxiety, but with pains like that of course you’ll be anxious. Can anybody please help me and tell me what to do so I don’t get these frightening pains. I’m only 32 and I’m planning to have a baby very soon. I’ve been putting off having a baby, thinking there is something wrong with me and the symptoms could be worse. Do the symptoms get worse during pregnancy? Is there any other test I should take to make sure I don’t have any heart problems? Please help.
so please sis tell me that what i can do in this situation :( i m alone at home  is there any way to get relief for sometime
I am 32 and have had a miriad of issues since I turned 30. 3 months ago I also had my first bought of chest pains and heart palpitations. They came out of nowhere so automatically I began to have anxiety which only exacerbated the issue. I went to my doc, had an EKG and a thyroid test, all came back normal. I have suffered from anxiety in the past which can cause an unbelievable amount of physical symptoms. Heart palpitations being one of them however, I'm really happy and upbeat so that explanation just wasn't cutting it. Through yoga and deep meditation I have learned to stop thinking that there is something terribly wrong with me. These symptoms never get worse, they most always come the week before my period and the strange thing is the intense head pain I would get disappeared when the chest thing started to happen. I am all for going to get things checked out but when everything is coming back normal and you don't smoke, you are active and most of the time feeling good then most likely we are all dealing with hormones and age!! "Growing pains" my mom used to call them. We are all so scared that there is something wrong with us because TV and Western medicine would always have us believe that. We aren't all perfect all the time, we are beautiful, strong women, mothers, partners and friends. Women need to communicate with each other, none of us should feel alone in our pain or anxiety. This is the perfect example of how supporting each other automatically makes us feel connected. Blessings, peace and love to you all.
I had a seizure in my sleep 2 yrs ago after visiting the dr and discussing tingling numbness in my hands rapid heart beat anxiousness not being able to sleep or relax and generally having a feeling of impending doom.
At the time i was sent away with a fact sheet on tinitus!!! ( because i told them I could hear my own heart beat in my ears).
I had always suffered with my nerves and had PCOS so I was obviously labelled by them as that nutty woman who can't have kids!
After the seizure, I was diagnosed with epilepsy and thyroid disease within 3 days of each other, ( seems my panic attacks for the last 20 yrs weren't and were actually partial seizures, so not so nutty afterall) and the thyroid issues were probably the cause of the 2 miscarriages and my type 2 diabetes ( which i obviously got through stuffing my fat face with cake as far as the dr's were concerned cos you are only fat if you eat too much, not because you have a thyroid condition gone un noticed for 20 yrs). I now have found out I have a magnesium deficiency, which also causing 80% of the un pleasant side effects I have lived with for the last 20 years and been fobbed off for being 'an over anxious type'. Don't waste your life feeling ill and being told a load of rubbish just to make you feel stupid and go home like a good little girl cos Dr knows best. If you are not anxious and you don't usually feel rubbish don't be fobbed off. They get paid on patients not results and you're just a number. You wasted life sitting at home leading a sad and ill life means nothing to them. FIGHT!!!!
I would suggest getting a d-dimer blood test to make sure you don't have a P.E. I was in your situation, just started Birth Control, had chest pains and restlessness, and finally extreme shortness of breath, and it ended up being a massive pulmonary embolism, which I'm lucky to have survived. If you find yourself short of breath, please go to the hospital. I have all of the same symptoms as everyone else here after having the P.E. and it scares the heck out of me, but I've been told that it is fine and is probably linked to my hormonal cycle.
Yes..I have these exact symptoms..at worst hurts to breath in...so I have to  pant to get through it..when it is minimal..merely feels like needles inserted under my breastbone and rubbing....all 5 to 10 days before my period...I wish we could find and answer. I also went to the e.r. all was okay except they said I had a right deviated axis and slightly twisted..heart...don't laugh..its true..I know this is an old thread..but hope you get this and by now have answers..thought it was hormone exacerbated costocondroitis.. (sp?) be well, a.
Yes..I have these exact symptoms..at worst hurts to breath in...so pant to get through it..when it is minimal..merely feels like needles inserted under my breastbone and rubbing....all 5 to 10 days before my period...I wish we could find and answer. I also went to the e.r. all was okay except they said I had a right deviated axis and slightly twisted..heart...don't laugh..its true..I know this is an old thread..but hope you get this and by now have answers..thought it was hormone exacerbated costocondroitis.. (sp?) be well, a.
I have felt identical to this and had every test under the sun.  Including testing for MS. Everyone says it is nothing and I feel like no one believe's me anymore because as soon as my period starts I am fine.  I guess I am going to try to just live with it this month and start paying attention to dates.  I am glad thus far I can chalk it up to nothing serious...even though it seems really serious at the time.  Glad you posted this!
I found this post two years ago after my upper left chest pains started to become unbearable.  Sure enough;  after some monitoring, the timing of the pains matched my monthly cycle;  often during ovulation and then again during my actual period.
I am 37 and stopped taking birth control four years ago.  Interestingly enough, the chest pains started about a year after stopping BC.

Last December at my annual physical, I asked my doctor if I could have a prescription for birth control again, both the test out my own theory, but to also get regulated again.  

The first month (January '13) after starting the BC, the chest pain was still present :(  
However, that was the last BIG bout of chest pains I've had!  I only had one dull moment of pain last month; otherwise NADA!  Since being back on the pill, the chest pain has disappeared.

So, hormonal linkage???  This self-diagnosed lady thinks so!
Good luck to everyone!!!!  I, too, could not imagine going through years of the monthly chest pain.  It's crazy how hormones work and affect us.
So good to find that the scariest thing that has happened to me for about 5 years now and that I am not alone..  I have gotten to a point where I know when it is time to drink drink drink lots of water.  Seems to help me stay hydrated and get rid of extra fluid faster.  Seems to me some doctors out there should be researching this to help better figure it all out.  Anyways just wanted to say the more fluid i get rid of during my week before my period the better my chest feels.  Thanks.
wow. i don't know what to say other than echo other's sentiment that i am really relieved to find i am not alone in experiencing this. i'm 31, 5'5", 160 lbs and have been experiencing this exact same thing. it started last year when i began getting really bad headaches that i eventually concluded were linked to my cycle. in recent months the chest pain has begun - around ovulation and again about a week before my period. it's usually only bad for a day or so, but can linger for several more days. generally on the left side under my breast. i've had anxiety issues in the past, but this has pushed it into overdrive. i was not insured until recently, so now i can go for a full work up, but given that i'm generally healthy (actively losing weights, exercising regularly, eating very healthy) i've figured it was just anxiety. of course, this makes the anxiety so much worse. thank you all for sharing your experiences. if nothing else, knowing that there are others going through the same thing makes me feel less panicked. i usually take some asprin, just in case, but advil seems to be the most helpful in mitigating the pain. i also sometimes take magnesium, but not consistently - i may try doing that around this time in my cycle. i'll also try the over hydrating suggestion. hope all of us fine some relief sooner rather than later.
omg!!  that is exactly what i am experiencing....the deeper i breath the worse the pain. I am going to start documenting exactly when it starts. I definitely know it happened last month but not sure when it started. I need to pay attention where in my cycle the pain starts. Im glad to know Im not alone...not that I like that ur all having these issues.
I know how you and the other ladies feel. I have had chest pain 2 weeks prior to my period and it would stop at the first day of bleeding. I told more than one doctor including a gynecologist and they don't know why it happens. I wish there was more research on women's health and how her hormones can play a major role.
I am a 32 year old with similar issues as well. April I started having left shoulder pain which spread to my arm and chest. Went to EMERG thinking it was heart related and had an EKG done and bloodwork done and Doc said I was totally fine. I happened to get my period two days later but didn't link it until May when a few days before my period I felt the pain again, and then loose stool, feeling light-headed etc. Tracking the time of it I was to get my period two days later, and I did. I saw an Acupuncturist who put me on chinese meds to see if it will correct my hormonal imbalance. I started taking them immediately after menstruation ended, and the shoulder pain came back immediately as did all the other symptoms! I've been taking them for 20 days now and am ovulating and finding it's pretty bad at the moment, but he says to stick  it out for at least two cycles. Like all of you, I'm just hoping that's all it is. You start to google and then have a panic attack thinking it's lymphoma or MS or other scary disorders... I will post again after the 2 cycles to let you know if these chinese herbs worked.
So I thought I'd just add to the list- I'm 34, I do have issues with my weight but because my weight is below the healthy norm (I have a long standing eating disorder) and I had been experiencing chest pain which stared sporadicly and randomly and became quite constant and strong enough to prevent me walking without having to slow right down and cardio exercise was out of the question.

I had the pain start about 2 weeks before my period started and about 36 hours before the pain started it became constant. I was really scared- I thought it was an eating disordered related thing (my BMI is 16-17 and I'm too old to be messing with my body like this, I wish I had a better grip on my eating) I thought my time had come!

I went to the hospital's emergency service (thankyou to the NHS- I don't think I'd be here without it for a number of reasons!) they ran a few tests but my heart showed as fine in all of them, as did every other of the tests (angina related, d-dimer, test for aneurism, ECG, diabetes...etc). I was sent home and advised to contact my GP for tests on my thyroid, B12 levels and iron levels, none of which could be carried out at the hospital at the time due to it being an emergency service. I am yet to call my GP.

I'd already decided there was a link- it was the first time I've experienced this but the degree to which the pain had knocked me for six (I couldn't even walk properly) to the very next day when my period appeared, suddenly being able to carry on as normal; too much of a coincidence.

I'm now wondering what is going on? My heart burn pills (very strong; Omeprazole) didn't help, I get through a lot of soya milk every day (high in oestrogen) and so I am doubtful it's either heart burn, gastric acid related or low oestrogen related, I'm stuck for ideas.

I'm going to need to find out how to combat this so the cause is important because it was very restricting in terms of how it affected me. Worryingly it did help to take an asprin. If an asprin helped it makes me think it's heart related rather than a more external muscle, a lung related issue or a gastric related.

So glad I found this thread as I was starting to think I was either dying, or going mad!
This is so interesting... so many young women on here experiencing the same thing.  I first had this happen in my late 20's.  I headed to the ER, as it was so intense and new.  Many tests... nothing was wrong apparently and it was suggested that I was experiencing stress.  I was prescribed something, but did not fill the rx, as knowing something was not wrong with my heart reduced the symptoms to almost nothing (the rx was probably diazepam) Apparently, that message didn't sink in.  I lived with this off and on for years.  It became more frequent in my late 30's (now 38 and experiencing this today.)  In the last two years, I have had chest xray (while having symptoms) and EKG.  All were normal.  Also, had major surgery (nothing to do with heart) and all pre op tests suggest I am very healthy. It has been suggested that I have heart burn (no) or asthma.  Got an inhaler and it helps soothe the pain a bit.  BUT... I now realize it happens right before my period.  I think for me it is anxiety.  I have a high anxiety personality and I think when I get pms, it just pushes me over the top... actual physical symptoms of anxiety (almost like a panic attack.)  That is my theory at this point.  It goes away a few days after my period starts and I forget about it.  I had an obgyn suggest anti anxiety medication several years ago and I refused. I thought that seemed like overkill.  As I am getting a bit older and am reflecting back on all of my experiences with this,  I literally am just now realizing it is probably anxiety related.  I don't know why it took me so long to make the connection.  I think the anxiety of thinking something could be wrong with my heart made it worse. One interesting thing .... I have found when I do a low carb diet, I don't experience this.  I wonder if sugar/carbs/caffeine make it worse.  I agree with what another person said... get up and move if you can, take your mind off of it, take some ibuprofen, do something that reduces your stress and see if that helps.  I think next month, I am going to try and stop eating sugar and greatly reduce carbs 2 weeks before my period.  At times when it was really bad, I took an aspirin and laid in fetal position, told my family not to bother me, prayed with all lights out in bed.  I fell asleep and felt much better when I woke up.  It's usually not bad pain like that, just a tightness in my chest a day or two before period.  God bless all of you.  Hope you find peace and healing.
I'm 46. I have severe endometriosis and take birth control. The week I should get a period, I start having anxiety and chest pains. The pain is usually on the left side and radiates across my back and upper chest. I was hospitalized twice with full cardiac work ups and they found nothing either time except pvcs (palpitations). I stopped drinking caffeine and the pvcs have disappeared. My Ob/Gyn told me that the chest pain and anxiety were definitely linked to hormone fluctuations. I thought he was nuts because I never really had pms mood swings before. As he explained it, you body can change as to how it reacts to hormonal fluctuations and my body has decided it doesn't like them anymore. I've learned to just focus on my breathing and remind myself that I'm not having a heart attack. It's just the hormones trying to make me crazy.
Hello, I've suffered from this for years and I have all the symptoms you are speaking about. I'm 43 in good health I've been through every test and they even placed my on anti depression meds which did not help at all. I've just 2 months ago spoke to a new doctor and will go back and see what information or help she can give me. It'd a horrible feeling and messes up your life and you feel as if you are going to have a heart attack. I've been rushed to the Er twice and they can't find a thing which is good. I think it has something to do with hormones and I do have anxiety issues and they recommend meditation.
Very hard for myself I have 3 boys 15 yr old an 8 and a 17 month. I barely have time to breath, (lol) Hang in there and any information I will post glad I came upon this site. This appears to happen to a lot of us women. Good luck!
I had the same problem but it gets better  when I take potassium this was given to me by a dr it does help me, but also multi vitamins with all minerals on it, I like better natural sources.
Hello all,

I just wanted to say how thankful I am to have found this discussion~!
Felt like a lightswitch got turned on the day before my 31st Birthday which also was a few days before my period. Felt lightheaded, panicky, chest discomfort, also had a nervous stomach. I went to the Urgent Care and Dr prescribed Klonopin but I never took any. Went to my PCP, had blood work done and an ECG and everything came back good (thank God) and she said it sounded like vertigo so she prescribed Meclizine, and that did help with the lightheadedness. I feel like I do have anxiety, and it gets extremely intense the days leading up to my period... to the point where it feels like I'm having a heart attack. I'm looking into natural anxiety tablets/pills. I am praying that we all find comfort and good health! God Bless
I'm 19 and get awful chest pain the week I start my period. Some of them hurt so bad that I have to curl up in a ball. I'm not sure if it's normal,but it *****. Any advise?
I'm glad I found this I thought I was really going crazy as every month passes I get new symptoms and all this symptoms are the same you all experience I went two times to the emergency room and they told me everything was normal but reading everyone's testimony helps me out a lot since I don't have insuarance to go to a doctor right at the moment but will do the next week hope we do find a diluting because this pain really ***** !
Thank god I've found this! It doesn't happen every month just 3-4 times a year but every time it happens I panic! So glad I'm not alone.
I'm glad to I found this thread. I know it's old, but I'm still not done back-reading, and I am amazed and relieved to find women like me. I've just had the "angina-like" attacks since late July 2015. It felt like I'm having a heart attack. I also have myasthenia gravis and had undergone thymomectomy, so immediately related everything to my condition. 3 ER trips, 3 normal ECGs 2 weeks later it stopped. I thought it's over. Then it recurred. I tried a sublingual nitroglycerin and it worked. But I still followed-up with a cardiologist. The 2D-echo and stress test were normal. But he decided to put me on cardiac meds and antihypertensive as he believes I am just a lazy, obese woman. Then no chest pains again for about 2 weeks. I thought the meds are working. Wishful thinking. I started having them again. I tracked the dates of the episodes using my period calendar. It dawned on me it happens always a week before my ovulation and ends right with my period. Once I thought I was wrong because I still had slight chest discomfort and my period had stopped. But,that time I also have less bleeding than usual. Sorry, this is long. I am really anxious.
Hello, I know this thread is old, but I just needed to put my experiences out there too.  I have been having chest pain, dizziness, hot flashes, tingling, headaches, back pain, shoulder pain, jaw pain - all the usual heart attack symtoms - during the same time each month.  Over the past year I've been to the ER 4 times, had 2 echo's, countless EKGs and blood tests, and all come back "normal".  I finally went to cardiologist and he suspects hormones, but put me on a heart holter monitor for 1 month just to check.  I am awaiting the results.  In the meantime I went to my GYN and she doesn't think it's hormones, but I think I need a new GYN doctor because since its monthly, hormones just make sense.  I'm 42 and hate to think I will be experiencing this until I go through menopause.  It is debilitating.  
Hi. Have you followed up? How are your symptoms? I pretty much have the same thing, from ovulation to the beginning of period. So basically, I just have less than 2 weeks of good days, haha. Knowing someone having the same condition (although I feel sorry for all of us in this forum) is comforting.
I am yet another woman who seems to have this problem.  I am 45 and have had this for many years, but it used to be only a couple times a year.  In the past 5 years or so, it is much more frequent.  Only in the past 6 months have I started to make the connection with my menstrual cycle.  I have been to the ER many times, had EKGs, bloodwork, chest xrays, and have been to cardiologist about 4 times in the past 6 years.  I do have a very mild mitral valve prolapse but the cardiologists SWEAR that this doesn't cause chest pain.  All the test say my heart is perfect.  After my last visit to the ER, I saw my family doctor and she was very reluctant to attribute any of this to PMS, or PMDD, or perimenopause - but I think it does have to do with hormones.  I also saw a GYN but I think I got a bad one, she just completely dismissed the whole idea.  I do understand that having your hormone levels tested is very unreliable.  For me, what seems to be helping, is a combination of a low-dose anti-depressant (Zoloft), daily meditation and prayer, and as much exercise as I can get.  Because, if this is all truly hormone-related and not dangerous or harmful, and possibly not "curable," then you need to focus on reducing the anxiety that happens when you feel this pain and you can't stop thinking "am I having a heart attack?" or "maybe there is something wrong with my heart?".  My doctor also gave me a prescription for Xanax, for those moments when I am feeling the pain and the anxiety overtakes me - you just have to be careful with Xanax because it can be addictive, so just use it when you can't calm yourself down any other way.
NikkiMarty - I'm interested if anything came of the heart monitor?
Hi just wondering do any of you also experience left arm pain along with these chest pains before a period? I am 24 and have noticed that my left arm pains are usually when I am due on however it is worrying as I could have had them at other times too as I have not kept track properly! I have suffered with anxiety years ago and believe I can get minor episodes of it during stressful times now and lately I have been going through a lot of stress and get these random episodes of chest pain/discomfort and other weird symptoms at times. Do not know what to put it all down to really!!
I'm 24, 5.1, 118 lbs. I also have been experiencing these problems for a few years. Discomfort in left chest, arm, and sometimes the left side of my head - all made far worse a few weeks b4 my period. I was told a few years ago that I have mitral valve prolapse syndrome, but that issue normally goes unnoticed, and is not dangerous - in fact exercise helps that problem. The head pain only started after my doctor told me she thought I might have multiple sclerosis, which I don't, but the stress only made things worse. Like one of the ladies on here, who is an RN said, if you are only just noticing these problems see a doctor, but I've seen numerous doctors, taken numerous tests, and everything comes back normal. In all honesty nothing has helped me more than staying positive, cutting out caffeine and alcohol, lowering sugar intake, reassuring myself that what's happening is real & scary sometimes but it can't hurt me. (I do drink more water & eat more healthy snacks when it's happening because that seems to help.) I've gone on 9 mile bike rides while this stuff has been going on, and if I can do that then I'm pretty sure I'll be ok. Sometimes, nothing helps more than just distracting myself from the problem, keeping calm, finding something to do like be with friends, go on a walk, watch a movie, anything to remove myself from all sources of stress. Best advice - don't panic, try some things & see what helps & for sure learn some meditation techniques, even if like me, your meditation involve mountain biking. Perhaps, we are just the weird few who experience this instead of death cramps, like some of my friend's get every month - this may be more normal than we previously thought. In the meantime, I'm still hopeful that someone might come up with a permanent solution. Best of luck everyone!
Like everyone else, I'm so glad to have found this thread and keep checking back to see if anyone has found the reason why we are all experiencing these pains. I too have severe chest pain that moves through my diaphragm, up my back and shoulders and into my jaw exactly 5 days before my period starts each month. It only lasts between 20-30 minutes each time. It has been happening for nearly a year now but each month recently I am getting shorter other spells of it just before and during my period. From reading some of the other posts it seems as though I'm getting off lightly. I don't know who to ask for help. My GP could not be more disinterested... Have had an ECG and blood tests (through another doctor who actually took interest) but everything looked fine. I can only think it is related to hormones. I have seen some reports of chest pain linked to low oestrogen levels which would certainly tie in with the time of the cycle. I really hope someone takes us seriously soon because each time it happens, I'm petrified. I'm 38, two kids, average weight and in otherwise good health.
I'm 23 with no kids. This has happened to me 4 times over the span of roughly 2/3 years. This chest pain I could describe as a constant flutter with almost every breath I take and when this does happen it's always a few days before I start or within the first two days of starting. Only difference is with me it lasts hours, usually from the moment I wake up until I can finally fall asleep. Has anyone else experienced it for such a long time? Thank God the episodes are very spaced out but they're so bad it's honestly terrifying. I've had ultra sounds, a ct scan, and ekg that al turn up fine.
Thanks.
Omega 3 supplement helps follicle phase of the cycle

Raw cane Sugar, not the bleached sugar
Salt- Pink Salt ( Himalayan Mountain Salt)
Whole foods, not processed food ( fruits and vegetables)
Every food in moderation.

Faith works in Love, Love covers multitude of our short comings.
Constantly changing the way of thinking ( better thoughts, mastery of thought is a short cut for healing)
thyroid supplement and adrenal supplement are available mother's market.
Stores good for supplements

1. Mother's Market
2. Sprout
3. Whole foods
4. Korean Red Ginseng

Ginkgo seeds do not exceed 20 per day,  available in Korean grocery stores
Irvine, CA - Zion Market
I am 36 years old and I have been experiencing "odd" symptoms, or what I thought was "odd" symptoms like those mentioned above, shortly after the birth of my first child 9 years ago. After my second child, my symptoms were even more pronounced and now after 5 years after my second child, I still have these symptoms that scare the heck out of me, every month. Here are my symptoms: Chest Pain on left side. Sometimes it radiates to my shoulder and slightly down my left side of my back. I tend to receive very sharp pains when I bend down and my chest feels so tight. This only happens about 1 week, sometimes a few days before my period. I also have shortness of breath, headaches at times, heart palpitations and feeling like my blood isn't flowing properly through my body. Some other symptoms to mention are: extreme tiredness, carb craving, swollen breasts, tight chest, muscle cramps in my calfs, irritable, moody and I'm sure I might be missing some. I think it's important to mention that I am not on any birth control pill and never have been. My husband and I practice the Creighton Model for Natural Family Planning. I find it interesting that in previous comments that it doesn't seem to matter if one is using a birth control or not. These symptoms still exist. I too have gone to several doctors and at first I thought I had a heart condition. So many doctors just wanted to put me on an anti-anxiety/ anti-depressant med. I began to think everything was in my head. That was 9 years ago when this all started. Now I know, that every month, sure enough, I have these symptoms. The trouble is, they seem to be getting worse with age. My PCP is running some tests right now. I did an EKG, Chest X-ray, Breathing test, blood work and now onto another stress test/echo. I had one done after my first child and all was normal, but having it done again since my pain is worse. All of my tests, thus far, have come back clear. It's just frustrating that my OB, the Cardiologist that I went to after my first baby, the multiple Drs that I visited, hoping to get some answers and no one seems to be able to figure out what's going on.  I feel certain that I have some type of hormone imbalance going on. I'm still seeking answers and I hope find a solution to these unsettling symptoms. Thank you all for sharing your stories. It is extremely comforting to know that I am not alone. God bless you all in your life journey and may you find the peace that you're looking for along the way. Many Blessings!
I am 32, my symptoms started right after the birth of my first child, I since then had several blood test, a chest x-ray, 2 ecgs and a heart ultrasound... everything came back normal except the blood test showed slight anaemia.. I recently (after months of googling) started to think that it could be a thyroid related issue or Hashimoto's disease. Because of the scary symptoms I had a couple of trips to the A&E also. I just started to realise that these chest and back pains seem to be worse few days before my period and so happy that I found this thread to know I'm not crazy it happens to others too. There has to be a connection with hormone levels and thyroid in my opinion. Now I just have to find a really good GP who doesn't think it's all in my head.  Please keep me updated if you find out anything, I will do the same. x
I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome . I am having terrible problems with visible movement of the left chest wall every time I'm due. Someone about mentioned mitral valve prolapse which is actually asseociated with some forms of EDS due to hyper elasticity of the collagen . Collagen and fibrillin connective tissue disorders are made worse by progesterone. This is actually ecassibated on the build up to menses as the progesterone makes everything worse for people with already lose joints. I have had an echo and ECG and apparently nothing sinister shows but I am scared because they have no idea what's happening . My spasms in the left chest begin one week before menses. I also get horrendous migraine . My white blood cell count is elevated and I also have a DVA in my brain. I'm convicted the prgesterone is causing massive inflammation each month as I get a butterfly rash accross my face the week before too. I beg been very ill since I had a child and the EDS joint hypermobility syndrome got very very bad . I had an anestetic at the dentist with adrenaline that tipped this whole heart palpitation over the EDS and had some kind of seizure though I was awake . I could not speak properly and had spastic limbs . I needed a walking stick after . I'm convinced I had some kind of stroke though nothing shows on MRI as they refused to give me one until 3 months after the event trying to make out it was psychosomatic . It's been hell. Had to walk with a stick for 4 months as in the seizure I tore a ligament in my lower spine . They acted as if I was making this all up despite video of my left chest wall moving and a genetics test showing I carry a very rare gene related that is mutated meaning that they don't know the significance despite anyrism in a sibling and the gene being one of serious heart prolapse indication .
I am 38 and have been suffering from exactly the same symptoms for 5 years....since finishing nursing my last baby. I too have had every doctor (even psychiatrist) and tried many different pills (ssri&;s, anti-anxiety, birth control, vitamins,etc...). I have tried acupuncture, different nutritional shakes, etc... I have been diagnosed with PMDD. Doctors in the US are just figuring this syndrome out. In the UK it is an accepted and studied disorder. I have found my most helpful tips online, not from doctors. For me, a Prozac and magnesium helps on really tough days (ovulation and immediately before my period). It also helps to have an understanding partner who supports you if you need to spend a day in bed. Good luck!
Everything you described is exactly what's going on with me, I'm 23 years old and just got back from the hospital again. Being released after givin a zanax and sayin it was anxiety. I've gone to numerous doctors and have tons of test and no one can ever find anything wron. I had a psychiatrist tell me once I might have a mood disorder but nothing was ever done. I've also had sign and been tested for lupus but the test came out positive once then got tested again nothing came. So all I have to say I hope someone find out what this is, it's been a horrible 6 years with these pains. They started when I was pregnant with my first child,  I now have 4 children. I hope you get better God bless you
this is an old post but I'm really glad to of read it.   44yrs old thinking I'm having a heart attack for 7-10 days of every month for the last 2years.  Thank you ladies x
I have been searching and trying to piece together what is happening in my body. It has been 2 weeks since I have been having on n off chest pain, discomfort. That travels from left side of chest to back, should and center right chest. Went to Dr. and was cleared and then landed in ER twice n no results of cause. EKGs, xrays, blood work,pain relievers and even a nitrate patch but still each day Ill have a bought of a scare with chest tightness. After Google searches on causes of chest pain, I ruled out heart and lungs and muscle. Then I began to get breast soreness and tenderness which I hadnt had in years, due to hormonal imbalance which caused amenorrhea. Been years without a period. And then after 2 weeks of chest scares my cycle came. Leaving me to think this could be the underlying cause of chest tightness. I began to look up if menstruation could cause this symptom and adrenal fatigue came along which low progesterone was one factor along with oestrogen. It makes sense to me since I have never had any issues like this until now when my hormones changed. I will be seeing a cardiologist in a few days and Im making an appt. With my endocrinologist next week see if Im still feeling this, what I call annoying, feeling. Hopefully blood work will show the change and praying for a treatment. I cant live like this thinking Im going to die or just the feeling of fatigue. Im 35, no children and love to workout and be active but since this I barely leave the house.
Hi Jax33!

I have similar symptoms as you. Did you ever find anything out from your visits?
Hi Everyone,

I am a 40 year old female and over the past year to year and a half have been experiencing mild to severe chest pain a week to a week and a half before my period (not consistently every day). Up until age 38 I have had fairly "normal" periods and then all of a sudden I was experiencing chest pain as well as severe pain in my lower and upper back prior to my period. I had been tested previously and the results were normal but I am going to be going for x-rays, ultrasounds, ekg, and blood test coming up soon. I don't want bad news, I just want to not have to suffer with this pain every month; it is very scary.

Wishing you all the best and that we can find a remedy to this mystery.
Hi everyone
I posted on this thread a while ago as I was having chest pains similar to everyone else. But I have now received a diagnosis which I hope might be of help to others.
I have an oesophageal disease called Achalasia. One of the symptoms is chest pain, which is actually the Lower Oesophagus Spincter muscle at the bottom of the oesophagus going into spasm. This muscle should naturally open when you swallow to allow food into your stomach, and then close again to stop food coming back up. In Achalasia, this muscle tightens, meaning it is difficult to get food down and then stomach acid comes back up because the muscle doesn't close.
So my main question to you all is, do you have any difficulty swallowing food, drink or saliva? I knew I was finding this increasingly difficult, but I didn't make the connection between that and my chest pains.
Achalasia is really rare and notoriously difficult to diagnose, so if you think your symptoms fit this description, then please see a gastroenterologist. Achalasia can't be cured and will get worse over time but there are procedures to slow its progression.
I hope this post helps someone else as it has taken me 2.5 years to get to this point.