Heart Disease Community
Chest pain/tingling feeling in left hand and arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

First, i'm a 22 year old male, and weigh about 115 pounds. I don't smoke or drink. I've had recurring chest pains of varying degrees for about 6 years now. i've already been to the E.R for this multiple times. Sometimes its a dull aching pain, other times its a sharper more acute kind of pain. It normally always originates from the left part of my chest. Some times, this pain is accompanied by pain in my left arm as well.. Other times my left arm will slightly tingle, or feel like its falling asleep. I've told the DR. about these and they insist its inflammation of the chest wall. Does inflammation of the chest wall include pains/tingling feeling in the left arm? I'm worried it might be Angina.

Also, some times the chest pain will originate from me breathing in deeply, but not EVERY time. Some times the pain will increase when I go into a standing position from a bending position. Once again, this does not occur everytime. The pain seems to come and go randomly. The only time I can get the pain to go away "on command" is if i'm doing something that requires my full attention, and it makes me "forget" about the pain.

I've been to the E.R for this multiple times, and the first time they did a blood test, as well as taking my blood pressure. All was apparently normal. That was about two years ago give or take. This past week i've been having the same pains, but normally they go away throughout the day, so I just ignore the pain since i've all ready been to the E.R and they said everything was fine. But this time the pain has lasted longer then usual (i'm on day 6 now, it was day 4 when I went into the E.R), so I decided to go to the E.R again to check it out. This time they took an E.K.G test, chest X-ray, and checked my blood pressure. Once again they said everything was fine so they sent me home. The dr. suggested that I had inflammation of the chest wall, but suggested I go to a cardiologist which I will be doing soon. The pain has increased a bit, and the tingling in my left hand is extremely annoying.  My left foot has also started to have the same tingling feeling, as if they are about to fall asleep.  Does this sound like angina to you guys?  I would have thought i'd be be too young to have something like this, and i'm not extremely overweight or anything.  Is it possible that these pains and the tingling feeling in my hand/arm/foot are coming from something else?

With all the tingling, it sounds to me like you have some bones out of alignment.  You should see a chiropractor if you have not already done so.  You will be pleasantly surprised at how much better you will feel if that is indeed the problem.  When ribs are out of alignment, it hurts to breathe in and out. The pain can be quite bad.  If you have had a bad cold with a lot of coughing, this can cause your ribs to be out of alignment.  Symptoms of misalignment are tingling, electric like feeling, pain, shooting pain, feeling of water running inside the joints, coldness feeling, hot feeling.