Heart Disease Community
Chest pains when stretching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Chest pains when stretching

On occasion when I yawn and stretch at the same time I get a real sharp chest pain. when the sharp pain hits it only lasts maybe 5-10 seconds but during that time I cant take a breath and im kind of frozen in place. It does not happen every time, just once in a while. I have always assumed it was just muscle spasms but I have asked around and have never heard of anyone having the same problem.

I
Pain when stretching doesn't sound cardiac, I get that too and I know it isn't my heart...but I do have scoliosis.

You should have your LV size re-checked to be sure it's within a safe range.  If you were very athletic, then that makes sense...but not re-checking doesn't.  Particularly now that you are concerned.

Smoking is never a good idea, but I'm sure you know that.  Took me a while to get it.  I quit three years ago after smoking for 10.
I have had the full run of cardiac testing this past year.  I have explained a number of times that one of the feelings I get in my chest happens just under the left breast and can happen when I breathe deeply or stretch back.  (It too is sharp) It scares the **** out of me because it is located on the left side of my chest where my heart is located therfore in my head it is my heart.  I still believe it is something heart related (which is the reason for my recent posts on the anxiety forum!!) but 3 family doctors, 3 cardiologist, my OB and a gastro doctor SWEAR that it is NOT heart related.

I think I have made it in my mind a heart issue and now have activated an anxiety switch that is a learned response and so the panic/anxiety comes after the pain.  

I think that you have to do what will convince you that you are okay and bring you peace.  I am not there yet, unfortunately, even after a quite a few docs and a small fortune later, but am closer.

By the way, I was told by one of the cardiologists that I had an enlarged left atrium.  Two of the three cardios did echos, one showed it, the other did not.  Anyway, the cardio I have stuck with now says that I don't (and he's done 2 echos) but even at the number the other cardio gave (which was 4.1) it isn't enlarged enough to worry about.  Was your enlarged ventricle diagnosed through echo?  If so, I would maybe have another done to check it out and also give you peace of mind.

Excuse the rambling, it's late!!

Best wishes to you, t.
I have been having the same things for years now.  A pain below my left breast that sometimes felt like a cracked rib, and other pains throughout the body.  Mosttly on the left side of my chest and left arm.  I can often crack my joints when the pains happen.

I also get the same types of pains in my right arm, legs, and head occasionally.  Just today a couple minutes after a torso strecth, severe pain across my whole chest.  I couldn't hardly breathe for 1 or 2 minutes.

I've been to the ER becuase of what I believe to be a panic attack after one of my pains.  They gave me an EKG right away and told me I wasn't having a heart attack.  They also kept me overnight and gave me another EKG in the morning and then an echo-stress test after that.  Apparentely the doc saw an slight Arrythmia but the cardiologist said both EKG's and the echo-stress were negative.  Hooray for me!

But then I had a halter monitor on for 24 hours and the results came back with tachycardia AND bradycaria, but since I started taking Paxil, I haven't had a really high heart rate.  Bradycardia is when your heart rate is too slow, mine usually hovers at around 52 when resting.

I'll be seeing a cardiologist wenesday of this week.

I've also experienced shooting pains between my shoulder blades while exercising, a definate symptom of a heart attack, yet my pulse wasn't unusual at the time.

Do you ever have exessive worry and feelings of suffocation?
How about dizzyness?
I have the exact same symptom..a crack in my chest when I stretch and then sharp pain..hard to breathe..feels like my sternum snapped...can anyone give me a possible diagnosis..please email to ***@**** ..thanks
by the way the sharp pain and crack I feel is in the exact center of my chest...I'm sure that is the same symptom you are having if I'm correct..not to the left or right..so I'm sure it's nothing related to the heart..but it scares me..and I haven't seen anyone else with this exact symptom save you..
I am a 47 year old male. I workout regualarly. I have had a heart rate of 44 when at rest ( I use to run alot). I have told my doctor for years that I was having sharp chest pains, shortness of breath and pressure in face, neck and chest. At times the pain in the chest felt like a starburst, spreading out gradually. It would subside after a few minutes or an hour. He told me that I was having panic attacks. In 2006 I felt very ill and the pressure in my head was unbearable. I was taken to the hospital. The doctors in the ER told me that I needed a stress test done. I did. The result was a stent being placed in my RCA due to 90 percent blockage.
Now here we are in 2008 and I'm feeling ill once again. I found out that the medicated stent that was placed in me tends to cause clots. Therefore I should have been taking PLAVIX this whole time...now they tell me....
Well all I can say after reading everyone's thoughts is that I feel the same pain. But before it was on the left side now it's mainly on the right side, whenever I stretch or I wake up. Sometimes I feel it on both sides but usually it's on the right side so away from the heart.

I'm only 19, so my older sister who is becoming a doctor has told me that I'm out of shape and need to work out more often, like everyday and eat less, cause I have high choles at my age, ***** for me I know...

But yeah I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it could mean, I mean I'm worried I could be dying but then again maybe Im just out of shape... So confused sigh.
I feel the exact same pain on the left side of my chest and I feel it's my heart as well.  I just felt it now and did a search on the Internet to find any information I can on what it is.  This string is the closest thing to somebody feeling the same thing yet I see no answers.  Everything Kieth said is exactly what I feel and it worries me everytime because I feel like my heart stops and my chest hurts on the left side.  It actually feels a bit like a muscle spasm but it is right at the same place where my heart sits in my chest and that is what worries me.  Any ideas from someone about what this is would be a great help.
Steve
http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/precordial_catch_syndrome_chest_pain/
I was told by Doctors that i had a heart Murmur(Irregular heart beat) Although it is actually a common among new borns the doctors told me that as i grew or got older the heart murmur would eventually go away. Well i Am 17 years old and the heart murmur has came and gone according to my previous doctors Visits. So When i saw your Post i felt like you were literally describing my problem, although the doctors don't see the heart murmer as a cause of my frequent sharp chest pains they are finally refering me to a CArdiologist after three consequtive doctor visits. If anyone has any more information on this topic i would greatly appriciate it .