Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chest presure and abnormal heartbat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Chest presure and abnormal heartbat

when i was 17 got into an accident on a atv and broke my nose...the next morning i was feeling extremely dizzy and my heartbeat was racing like crazy and felt like it was skiping beats so i went to the emerency room and they did some test and said everything was fine other than heart palputations. well over the next 3 yrs i was in and out of the emergency room ALOT. My symptons where: dizziness and pressure in my head,racing and skipping heartbeats but also sometimes very slow heartbeat, alot of pressure in my chest like someone sitting on it, and the felling of not being able to catch a deep breath or feeling like i wasnt getting enough oxygen.i also suddenly wake up from a sleep because it felt like i had stopped breathing for a second. i wore a heart monitor for like  a month but they never contacted me about the results so i assumed everything was normal. i also had chest x-rays and ekg done. at this point they were just saying it was anxiety. which was somewhat true because i was having that over not knowing what was wrong with me. they gave me xanax for it. it did work when i took it but i stopped taking it because i didnt want to get addicted to it. i just learned to live with the feeling and hoped it would go away. it did get a little better over time but never went away. I am now 24 yrs old and i still feel all these syptoms (symptoms). latley it has gotten bad for me again. i just want to feel like i can breath normal and not feel like im going to go into heart failure or have a heart attack and die. i also have high colesteral which makes me worry about my heart even more. i just want some awnsers to what all this is. i dont know if my excessive drinking and smoking habbit over the years had an contributing factor to that. but i just stopped drinkng all together a few months ago. im working o quittig smoking. if anyone has some awsers about this i woud love to hear them.
First, quitting smoking is the most important thing you can do, and the symptoms you are having could very well be related to that.

Second, you should never assume that a test was normal just because you weren't contacted about the result. Unfortunately, sometimes, a test can fall through the "cracks" and you should follow up on tests that you aren't contacted about with results. You ultimately are responsible for your health more than anyone.

With regard to your symptoms, it may represent anxiety as has been mentioned, but could indeed be an arrhythmia. I would recommend seeing an Internist, and if he/she deems necessary, then a Cardiologist. Testing would depend partly on how often you have the symptoms, and what provokes them. A heart monitor would determine arrhythmia and can be worn up to a month, but even as short as 24-48 hours. EKG is always good for baseline, and sounds like you have that already. Echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) is a good test to determine your heart function, if there are valve abnormalities, and can rule in or out heart failure (which this doesn't sound like). Finally, if your symptoms are provoked by things like position change, then if all other testing is normal, sometimes if your physician feels it is warranted, then tilt table testing or other maneuvers to try to elicit the symptoms while being monitored can be useful.