Heart Disease Community
Chest wall pain - 4-5 left ribs concave - asymetric

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Hello, I am 30 year old Male; generally good health up to this point. I have been having heart attack symptoms on/off for a little over 1 year. 2 Initial trips to the ER were uneventful - was given GERD medication. Over the last 12 months I have had Stress echo, x-rays of chest, neck; CT w/ contrast scans of my head, neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis; Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, small bowel study, MRI with contrast of Head and neck... Blood tests like CBC, thyroid, cholesterol, blood sugar, lyme disease, and many more I can't remember.

All of these tests came back normal - however my symptoms still persist. Typical symptoms are left sided chest pain, pain in my left shoulder and left arm, with sometimes noticeable swelling of the veins in my left arm. And this is sometimes accompanied by tingling sensation in my left arm and/or left side of my face. The symptoms seem to be aggravated by eating and any gastritis. I can't get any traction with my doctors (I have been through 2 and am on my 3rd now) - so I've been attempting to diagnose myself.

The one common thread through all episodes over the last 1+ year is the pain in the 4-5 left rib area on the left side of my chest. This spot, due to years of poor posture, and poor posture at a young ago; playing hockey left handed, guitar left handed, slouching, etc. has caused a "pivot" point which seems to cause my chest to fold-in on itself at this location. Example: when I reach for something with my left arm, there is a noticeable crease below my left breast - this crease is not present when I duplicate a reach on the right side. This area is very tender to the touch. In my last appt. with my Gen. P. Dr. I brought a 2' level - I was able to demonstrate that my chest wall (left vs. right side) is level all the way up until the 3rd-5th rib area - at which the level bubble fully deflects down to the left side. This is the result of approximately 1cm concave "dip" in the left rib cage in the area - which can be seen on the CT scan study. I suspect this to be the result of what I explained above. So, due to the "normal" results of pretty much every test in the book; could my posture related chest pain be causing these seemingly vascular / heart related symptoms? I have been working hard on correcting my posture - but it seems to be futile, since the structure of my left shoulder is so accustomed to rotating forward.

I have set an appt. with a cardiothoracic Dr. to discus the possibility of adjusting the affected ribs surgically. I was told by my GP dr that this is not likely to happen, due to the risks involved. I am convinced that this is killing me- my blood pressure has been high, especially when I eat.

Please let me know, In your view is there a case to make for surgical adjustment of the ribs? Is this at all a common procedure? How risky is this related to lung puncture, infection, etc. - Where would I look to find a qualified Dr. willing to do this?

What are the alternatives?

Thank you,

Mike