Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chiropractic and the Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Chiropractic and the Heart

Posted by D.C. on July 30, 1999 at 10:18:42
What do you think of a chiropractor's claims that he can help the heart through adjustments?  He says certain subluxations pinch the nerves going to the heart.  Through adjustments to the spine the pressure on the nerves is reduced allowing the heart to be more healthy.  He often says he has good results helping to lower blood pressure.  I wrote to you a few days ago, I have an enlarged heart, thick heart walls due to high blood pressure.  Thank you so much.  Your service is wonderful and much needed.  I don't know where else I could get the information you provide.

Posted by CCF CARDI OMD - CRC on July 30, 1999 at 16:08:35
I would be skeptical and ask to see well done clinical research demonstrating these claims.  In addition I wouldn't abandon things that are proven to work (i.e. diet, exercise, medication) for this form of treatment although I see no reason not to have chiropractic care if you can afford it.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
Posted by Brandy on August 12, 1999 at 01:56:59
I'm 22 years old and have recently had my aortic valve repaired, after surgery I was seeing my chiropractor because of excessive stiffness etc...my cardiologist strongly recommended being very careful with chiropractors and neck adjustments, she had seen a few cases where a nerve has been pinched causing a more serious heart problem.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on August 17, 1999 at 08:46:57
When properly performed chiopractic is generally safe.  However, high speed adjustments can be dangerous and may lead to not only pinched nerves but severing of arteries.  Gentle manipulation is safe in general.