Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cholesterol Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Cholesterol Problems

I found out back at the end of may (2007) That I am a diabetic along with low and bad Cholesterol My numbers for good where 20 (month later 22) and my bad was 911 (down to 423) and they couldn't read my triglycerides either times.

I was wondering if there was any vitamans or anything else I could also take to help lower and anyone with good tips

I am only 24 years old and they have me on advicor 500mg/20mg .My doctor tried to raise it to 1000mg/20mg but the side effects where just to bad and actully made me feel like someone was trying to burn me alive. I just want to be healthy
Your cholesterol numbers are seriously elevated and your physician is correct in using a combination of a statin to lower the LDL and maybe raise the hdl, and niacin to decrease the triglycerides. You have to do your part with exercise, and dietary changes to decrease the absorbed contribution of the cholesterol: eat less saturated fats and cholesterol containing foods for lowering of cholesterol and decrease the amount of starches to decrease the triglyceride levels.
There are other medications which may be useful: crestor which is a cousing of the lovastatin but which is significantly stronger in its ability to reduce LDL and in fact actually raises the hdl. Another medication is omacor (which is now know as lovaza) which is the only omega three fatty acid which along with diet and exercise has been shown to improve the outcomes in patients with very elevated triglycerides (>500).
I am not a doctor but i am 24 and my cholesterol has been horrible for the last 5 years. I am actually taking omega 3 pills now and i go for my blood tests again in sept. I hope they help!
hey I am 27 and my cholesterol is really bad go to rockwellnutrition (dot) com there is a great fish oil they have and a vitamin pack called the four pillers....its great stuff helped me alot!!!  all there stuff is pharmetutical grade alot better then what you can get at the store. also they have a great nutritionist who you can call and talk to she is a god sent! hope this helps!
To increase your HDL number taking foods with a lot of Nician vitamin will help.  I would caution in taking it as a supplement as it may have negative side effects but you take it naturally then there is no harm.  Peanuts and fish have a lot of Nician.  PS I am not a medical professional.  Im a person with similar problems as you.
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00982.html

look into those pills also. I was taking the walgreens brand omega 3 and i dont think they did anything.
Research the side effects of Fish Oil, and you will find that it can raise your LDL (bad cholesterol).
really....I had never heard anything bad about fish oil my doc told me to take it.....would omeaga 3 be a better option? what is good to raise your hdl and lower your ldl?
I thought omega 3 is suppose to help reduce cholesterol.
Do you happen to have the website that talks about fish oil raising your ldl? I am interested in reading it all i can find is how it helps.
I found this (read below) on the www.heartscanblog.blogspot

Does fish oil raise LDL cholesterol?

Katie had an LDL (conventionally calculated) of 87 mg/dl, HDL of 48 mg/dl.

She added fish oil, 6000 mg per day. Three months later her LDL was 118 mg/dl, HDL 54 mg/dl. In other words, LDL increased by 31 mg. What gives?

Several studies have, indeed, shown that fish oil raises LDL cholesterol, usually by 5-10 mg/dl. Occasionally, it may be as much as 20-30.

Unfortunately, many physicians often assume that it's the (minor) cholesterol content of fish oil capsules, or some vague, undesirable effect of fish oil. It's nothing of the kind.

Since we based Katie's program on (NMR) lipoprotein analysis, not conventional lipids (HDL, calculated LDL, triglycerides, total cholesterol), I knew that Katie also had a severe excess of intermediate-density lipoprotein, or IDL, and very-low density lipoproteins, VLDL. This signifies that after a meal, dietary fats persist for 12, 24,or more hours. Fish oil is a very effective method to clear IDL and VLDL, though sometimes it also causes a shift of some IDL and VLDL into the LDL class. Thus, the apparent increase in LDL.

Another contributor: Conventional LDL is a calculated value, not measured. The calculation for LDL is thrown off by any reduction in HDL or rise in triglycerides. In Katie's case, the rise in HDL from 48 to 54 means that calculated LDL is becoming more accurate and rising towards the true measured value. At the start, Katie's true measured LDL was 122 mg/dl, 35 mg higher than the calculated value. Calculated LDL is therefore approximating measured LDL more accurately as HDL rises.

The most important lesson to learn is that, if LDL rises significantly on fish oil and you haven't had lipoproteins formally measured, there may have been a substantial postprandial abnormality like IDL that was unrecognized.

Posted by Dr. Davis at 12:34 PM    

According to the Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_ patient-fishoil, fish oil can lower triglyceride levels by 25-40% (4 grams/day), however it also increases LDL levels by 5-10%. Another note-worthy tidbit is that it can increase risk of bleeding, not a good thing for those of us on blood thinners and/or antiplatelet medication or with a history of stroke/TIA. Lower doses apparently still have benefits, but one can also just eat more fish!