Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cholesterol measurements
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cholesterol measurements

Posted by Gwynne Spencer  (male) on June 03, 1999 at 09:51:32
Is it physically possible to have a total cholesterol level that is a LOWER number than the sum of the HDL and LDL?
I was told recently that I had the following numbers
Total 206
HDL    44
LDL   177
Tri    48
When I suggested that the numbers did not make sense, the nurse lapsed into some "gobeldy gook" that also made no sense. a test a few months later produced the following numbers which make far more sense to me.
Total 249
HDL    58
LDL   165
Tri    50
Gwynne Spencer

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on June 05, 1999 at 18:58:09
Dear Gwynne
The second set of numbers makes sense, the first do not - probably a lab error in either measurement or calculation. Your LDL is high. If you have coronary artery disease, it certainly needs to be treated with medications and diet.
I hope this has been useful. Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck.
Information provided here is of a general nature.  Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F15.

Posted by Bernard on June 06, 1999 at 14:23:00
Am 80 years old with the following readings:chlosterol 189
                                             triglicerides (triglycerides) 51 mg/dl
                                             HDL           65 mg/dl
                                             LDL           114 MG/D
Famly has history of arteriosceloris. With the above readings and at my age am I at risk.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on June 09, 1999 at 10:30:58
Dear Bernard
Those values are pretty good. Just because of your family history, I would recommend being careful about your diet anyway.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
Posted by Billy Rigby on June 27, 1999 at 11:56:55
I have had by-pass surgery March 1998.
Measurements:
Cholesterol     144
Triglycerides   129
HDL              46
LDL              72
VLDL             26
CHOL/HDLC       3.11
Medication:  Lescol
Question:  What are the ranges of the CHOL/HDLC Ratio?(Good and Bad)

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on July 02, 1999 at 13:06:47
Dear Bill
Your numbers are all in a satisfactory range.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.