Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cholesterol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Cholesterol

My total serum cholesterol is 270 mg/dl and LDL cholesterol is 198 mg/dl.  Should I have to take medicines compulsorily or will home remedies be enough for this range. Please suggest your inputs.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I would talk with your physician as the management of cholesterol is a complex issues. You can start by making sure that your diet is low in saturated fat and cholesterol in addition to instituting an exercise regimen. I would be inclined to start you on a cholesterol medication in addition to this. There is good evidence that reducing LDL cholesterol in the long run can be beneficial for your cardiovascular health. This would be a medication that you would need to take daily. There are several options (I would probably use atorvastatin or rosuvastatin as they are the most potent and would be most effective at lowering your LDL into the appropriate range) which you can discuss with your physician. Good luck.
Food's cholesterol content does not affect blood's cholesterol level. It was proved even back in the 80's. The problem is the malfunction of cholesterol metabolism, which means your blood's plasma cell's cannot produce enough ACHA (anticholesterol antibody) molecules. With nutrition we can only take in 5-10% of our daily cholesterol need, the rest is produced by our organism itself. However other dangerous factors in food can affect the production of ACHA quite seriously such as additives, preservatives, stabilizers, coloring, antibiotics, hormone products eaten by livestock or fruits and vegetables sprayed by fertilizers and pesticides.
ACHA's work is to make the LDL molecules direclty utilizable for the organism, it does not need a co-factor to bound, ACHA molecules are bounding to the cholesterols ß-OH-ligands.

Statins are very advisable to avoid. They are only symptomatic treatment. On the other hand they are only certain enzyme poisons, to block the production of cholesterol in the liver. This damages the liver and makes no solution as the problem is not "too much cholesterol" but the "too much Useless cholesterol (lack of ACHA -> LDL deposition -> atherosclerosis)".

I made an antigen-treatment last year in Hungary, which teaches the organism to get back its former production rate of ACHA's. Im quite satisfied with the results. Check Dr. Horvath Istvan's antigen-immunization treatment or International Life Care Hungary. They have links to these studies too from medical journals (Atherosclerosis, The Lancet, Immunology etc).

Have a nice day