Cholesterol
Just had my cholesterol profile checked and everything looked excellent with total cholesterol of 3.7,triglycerides low and HDL 2.3 and LDL of 1.8.Have been switched to simvastatin after taking crestor.Told the doctor that maybe I should stop statins altogether in light of these results but he recommends staying on them as a preventative measure.What do you guys think?Can you actualy cause harm by lowering cholesterol too much?
Regards,
Dimi.
Your cholesterol numbers are very good, particularly your HDL.  I would stay on the statins. What was your cholesterol before the statins? What is your family history? How old are you? Obviously, sometime was amiss for your doctor to put you on the statins. Why do you want to go off the statins? Unless you are having problems, I would stay on the statins.

From what I have read, there seems to be 2 schools of thought on how low your cholesterol (LDL) should be. One school of cardiologists says, the lower the better and their is no floor.  There have been no problems reported so go as low as you can. As long as your body makes a smidgin, you will be OK.  The other school of thought thinks you should get it below 70 (1.81 mmmol)  if you have heart disease but you should no go much below 30-40 LDL (0.77 mmol-1.03 mmol) as there is not a lot of data about patients at this level.

My total cholesterol is 95((2.45), HDL 45 (1.16) and 42 (1.08). My tri are 38 (0.42 mmol).  My doctor cutback my Lipitor dosage when  my LDL drop below 33 (0.85).

I haven't heard or read about any problems with low cholesterol.  I haven't had any problems. I have been on the statins for 20 months.  I don't think  you anything to worry about in the cholesterol is too low department.  I would stay on the statins.
Hi, and thanks for replying.My cholesterol before the statins was 5.5,which I guess was not excessive, but because of a family history on my fathers side,the doctor decided a statin would be aproppriate.My father had an MI at 63 and survived and is doing well.I am 40yrs old.
Regards,
Dimi.
Higher HDL actually protects against heart disease, so if that drops too low, then there could be a problem.  I've never heard of a problem with low LDL, though.  Women should have an HDL of over 60 and men over 50, optimally.
Usually high cholesterol is reduced by medications such as statins along with a healthy diet and regular exercise. If cholesterol is low because of these, it is not really a problem. Only if your cholesterol falls without any obvious reason then you should be concerned. Though the risks and affects of low cholesterol are very rare it can lead to symptoms of anxiety and depression.