Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cholestrol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Cholestrol

Today I received a call from my doctor reporting results from blood test. She stated my cholestrol was high.
Cholestrol 266
Trig 217
HDL 45
Bad Cholestrol 178
5.91.
I am on thyriod Levoxyl .05 for hypothyroidism.

I don't understand first of all and looking for infomation. Second I weigh 182lbs. I have just begun a diet of high protien/low carb approx 5 days ago and feel great. I could not lose weight eating lowfat high carb diet and was tired all the time. Having aches in muscles in left leg from hip down approx 1+ yrs. I exercise at least 3 times a week cardio and have recently added weight training twice a week. While walking the treadmil after 15 minutes my arches begin to cramp badly.

If you could enlighten me in any way or a make suggestion I would appreciate it.
Dear Joanne,

These are the differnet types of cholesterol in your blood.  The good cholesterol is HDL your level is 45.  This can be raised with exercise, weight loss and control of insulin resistance or prediabetes.  You are more likely to develope diabetes due to your weight.  

Bad cholesterol  178  this should be below 130 in your case this is best done with medications such as statins.  Your triglycerides should be below 150.  this can also be done with diet, exercise and weight loss.

As far as this high protein, low carb diet.  This should be physician supervised as it might promote kidney dysfunction and renal failure if not supervised.  I would also recommend a complete screening for diabetes with a test called a hemoglobin a1c.

I hope this is helpful.
I have a question and wasn't sure where to go to ask.
My husband and I have just had our cholestrol checked.  Mine is 247 and his is 251.  We have both lost some weight, walk 3-4 miles a day, try to eat low fat.  We want to try to use diet and anything else before medication to lower it.  If we cut out red meat and increase vegetables, will that lower it more?  Also, how long should we do this before we have it checked again.  We did not have a full profile done.  Any help will be appreciated
You should try to limit red meat, animal fats and increase vegetable servings and oat bran.  

You may try this for 3 months and re check.  A strict diet will often only decrease your cholesterol by 10% so it is likely that you both may require medication to lower these values.
Thank you for responding.  Can you tell me what is the average cholestrol for a man 6'1" 203lbs. 54 years of age?  Also, do you know of any herb that we might try before medication?  Thank you so much.
Dear Patsy,

His cholesterol should be less than 200.  YOu may wish to try garlic, Vitamin E, C, folic acid and B vitamins.
Dear Patsy,