Heart Disease Expert Forum
Choosing an EP doctor.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Choosing an EP doctor.

I need to have an EP study done and I have a meeting with an EP specialist later this week.  What should I ask him about his qualifications?  What is a reasonable amount of experience in this field?  Also, what system is the best for conducting this sort of test.  I've read about the EnSite 3000 System, is this the "state of the art"?  Thanks!

-Charles
Dear Charles,
You could ask (his office staff or him) if he is board certified in EP and if he belongs to  the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology (NASPE).  These are two markers of his training and commitment to continuing education but are not the only things on which to base a judgement. Experience, training communication skills and the referral from your doctor are all very important as well.   An EP study is a standard test and he should have done at least 100 to have adequate experience.  The type of equipment the test is performed on is not as important as the doctor using the equipment.  We use a Prucka system with a Bloom stimulator in our lab but this will vary significantly from lab to lab.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Stats for Chronic/ Persistent Afib was started.