Heart Disease Expert Forum
Chronic Venous Stasis with Ulceration in a 23-34 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

When I was 23 years old I was diagnosed with the above.  I have been wearing sigvaris, medi-strumpf, etc compression stockings 40-55 mm Hg and sleeping with my feet elevated everyday for the past 11 years.  I have used the Unaboot, Duoderm (thin and thick), topicals, etc.  I moisturize my feet and ankles every night.  I am 6-5 weighing 215 pounds, smoker.  I am a professional Chef/Caterer and am on my feet 10-14 hrs a day for the past 11 years.  I was told that I can do nothing more for my condition than I am doing and that I will be dealing with black feet and ankels and ulcers the rest of my life.  I do exercise occasionally and am trying to quit smoking.  

The doctors I have seen said that this is rare in someone my age and that it must be hereditary.  However, no one in my family has this condition, even the ones in their 80s!  

Now my 36 year brother, in similar health, was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, at Mayo last Friday - he had an ICD and pacemaker installed.  He was also told this was hereditary.  His heart evidently does what mine has done for years, occasionally skip a beat, go tachy for 4 or 5 beats then regulate.  I was told this was due to too much caffiene and nicotine.  Now I have to have an EKC and echo to determine if I am at risk.  (Our father's heart does the same thing)

Is all this related, a strange coincidence, or a series of misdiagnosees?  Can you offer any advice, who to see, what to do at this point.  Thanks,  BAZ
Dear BAZ,

Likely the two things are unrelated.  

I can recommend the following.  You should do your best to stop smoking as this is a mojor cause of peripheral vascular disease and will likely make you leg condition worse.  Also try and limit alcohol and caffeine these two things will increase your heart rate and often bring on irregular rhythms.
Dear BAZ,
I suffer with what is called an Autoimmune Disease.  These are diseases where the body attacks itself.  The tendency to autoimmune disease is thought to be an inherited trait.  You don't have the same diseases in your family, but the presence of  one autoimmune disease in your family indicates you may have inherited this genetic tendency.  Some forms of Cardiomyopathy are now thought to be autoimmune diseases.  This may explain why you have symptoms of an autoimmune process known as Raynaud's Syndrome.  These are only my thoughts developed from wide reading on autoimmune disease, and I am not trying to diagnose your condition.  I hope this is of help to you.
Sincerely,
Ginny
Thank you for your comments.