Heart Disease Expert Forum
Clots and congential defects

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Clots and congential defects

Thanks for taking the time to review my question. I am a female in my mid twenties that has a recently diagonised ASD. My question is this...what are the chances of blood clots crossing the defect and causing problems? I woke this morning with bad shortness of breath and chest pain. The pain is there just when I take a big breath in and it is more of a squeezing pain than anything else. No coughing but I am very tired and winded and also no pain in my legs or calfs. I am on 75mg of paxil. I see my Dr. later today but wanted an opinion on what you thought that this could be and if the paxil that I am on is enough. Thanks so much.
Dear Honeywell,

The risk of a blood clot crossing an atrial septal defect (ASD) will depend on the size of the ASD and the risk of clot formation in the individual.  The risk is rather low in small ASDs and increases as the size increases. Things that you can do to reduce your risk of blood clot formation is to not smoke, not use birth control pills and avoid prolonged periods of sitting in one position.  Your doctor may also advise you on taking aspirin on a regular basis.   Hope this helps.