Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cocaine and permanent damage?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cocaine and permanent damage?

Hello,

For the past year I had been using cocaine on a semi regular basis. Once a week, on occasions twice a week, but never more than that. I have completely stopped this now since 3 or so months ago, and I know I won't take it again.

I have been feeling regular heart palpitations, in the last few months, usually one per day. These are without any other symptoms, no dizziness, no pain or discomfort, no shortness of breath. Sometimes I can feel my pulse beating hard in my head after exercise too, and sometimes if feels a little arrhythmic, but nothing major. However, as you can imagine, this can still be a little frightening.

I went to a cardiologist, and he listened to my heart and took my pressure. He told me everything sounds normal and that I shouldn't worry (however he didn't perform an ECG or anything.) He prescribed me some beta blockers for  month, which pretty much totally stopped my palpitations.

However, now I have stopped the beta blockers and my palpitations have returned. Should I be very concerned about them? As I say I have no other symptoms. Can my use of cocaine really have caused permanent damage?

I am thinking to get a holter monitor, but I have no insurance, and they are very expensive. I think I will do it anyway, I just want to know if I should be running to the hospital, or if I can stay a little more relaxed?

By the way I am a male, 28, I smoke maybe 10 cigarettes a day and I drink at weekends.

Thanks.
1495448_tn?1326846430
Sorry to hear you're having some difficulty.  Cocaine is very hard on the heart and can cause permanent changes with repeated use, such as early onset coronary artery disease.  If you only used intermittently and have since quit, I doubt you had any permanent damage but it is possible.  A Holter monitor isn't a bad idea to capture these palpitations that you're having, or something like an event monitor if the events are infrequent.  I should mention that beta blockers are very dangerous IF you are still taking cocaine.  The combination is bad, so if you are taking the beta blocker please don't use cocaine.  Best of luck to you, and I'm glad to hear you're off the drugs.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank