Heart Disease Expert Forum
Cold Meds

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Cold Meds

I have IST and NCS, mild MVP, MR, TR, mildly elev. pulmonary pressure, and epilepsy.
I have been told not to take decongestants by cardio and to avoid antihistamines by neuro.  I was told by primary I can take Robitussin (D or ?), an expectorant.  I don't need an expectorant usually and that is the case now.  

There must be a cold med (decong/anti) that I can take.  Can you tell me what one would be?  Is there maybe a special ingredient that I should look for to avoid or that would be acceptable?

Thanks for your help!
jan

Overall, there really isn't a cold med you can't take unless you are taking things for your NCS that might interact.

The acitve med in some over the counter antihistamines and decongestants ie phenylephrine, and pseudoephedrine can cause a worsening of tachycardia in those suseptible, so I would try to avoid.

You might try claritin or zyrtez, or flonase or atrovent nasal spray as a symptomatic relief if your primary symptoms are nasal.

Otherwise warm chicken soup and alot of TLC and rest are probably your best remedies.

good luck
When I was told this I didn't have a cold, so didn't ask further and they are not in their offices today.  
This is why I am asking you, not to directly be non-compliant or any such thing.  I would like relief now, not sometime Monday.  I hope you won't mind helping me out.
You can talk to your pharmacist in many cases--tell them what meds you are on and what your medical conditions are.  Many times they know more than MD's do about which drugs interact in which ways.

Or you can call your primary care doc or main doctor even on the weekends.  There is always someone on call.  Don't ever worry about "bothering" a doctor for something that feels important to you.  Be considerate of the times you call-don't call at 1am to ask this question!  

Perhaps Afrin nasal spray?  It works well.  Ask the pharmacist if you can take it with the meds you are on.  It should not have much systemic effects, but of course I am not a doctor or pharmacist, and you should ask them.

Just suggesting something, b/c you sound desperate!
Hi Christie,

Thanks for the reply.  The pharmacist said the same as my drs., basically I can't have anything.  :o(  My last primary gave me Nasacort AQ and Clarinex, they are so weak.

I do take atenolol and verapamil, maybe that is why they say I can't take any decongestants, as the dr. here suggested.  My primary said it would really make my tachy go crazy.  They really scared me.  I didn't mention I am getting a Reveal monitor for a suspected arrhythmia that is causing me to have momentary black outs.  Last thing I want is to end up in the ER.  I have had problems with colds making my NCS act up and that is w/o meds.

I rarely call a dr. after hrs. because the recordings always say "if this is a true emergency" and I don't feel it is.

I tried an antihistamine and I am so sorry.  I forgot how they knock me out and yuck!  I guess I am lucky I rarely get colds.  I feel like a wimp complaining, but I feel terrible.
I have high blood pressure (controlled with meds) and I don't take anything for colds besides herbal teas (safe ones like peppermint). I'd rather be stuffy for a few days than to worry about my heart or BP. Easy trade off for me.
There is cold medicine on the market which is suppose to be safe for people with high BP, its called "CORICIDIN HBP"( says "cough Suppressant, Antihistamine" on the front of the box ) and says on the front of the box "Decongest-Free cold relief for people with high blood pressure". You can buy this over the counter without a prescription.  My husband and I both have high BP and are on meds for it, we both took CORICIDIN before for colds and allergies, and had no problems, but I'm like one of the guys who posted above I first see if I can do without, if herbal stuff wont help then I will take the CORICIDIN.  My husband takes it right away and never had a problem.  And it seems to help.