Heart Disease Expert Forum
Collasped lung after bypass surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Collasped lung after bypass surgery
I was treated for a collasped lung(25%)
the day after my bypass, is this uncommon,and could it account for an abmormal ekg.
Dear Pat,
No, collapsed lung (pneumothorax) is not uncommon following open heart surgery.  The reason for this is that the chest cavity is open to air and some may remain following surgery.  It is usually either just watched if it is a small pneumothorax or treated with a chest tube if it is a larger pneumothorax.  It should not cause ECG changes.
A related discussion, Bypass surgery was started.