Heart Disease Expert Forum
Conflicting Heart Cath results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Conflicting Heart Cath results

My husband had a quad bypass 12/98 at age 63. He was obese and a heavy smoker. Since then he has quit smoking, but is still 20 lbs overweight. He has type 2 Diabetes.  May 24, 2005, he had a heart cath done due to continuing mild chest pain.

It showed blocked in one of the "branches" off a new artery.
Decided to stent next day, but the blockage was GONE. Dr. says maybe "spasms".

Put on nitropatch for one week, then removed and treating with nitroquick as needed for 2 weeks.  BP has been running low, under 102/60 most days.  BP meds are lopressr 25 mg and vasotec 2.5, one in a.m. other p.m.  Thus feels exhausted most of the time. Other meds: metformin, lexapro, wellbutrin sr, simvistatin. synthroid, low dose aspirin.

The pain usually occurs while sitting/reclining, though sometimes on morning walk of less than 1 mile.

Your website indicates no cure for this.....(?)and his cardiol. says nothing to prevent it......something patient just has to live with.....

ARe there other ways to treat this condition? Does it warrant a second opinion or is it fairly common for male age 70?

Thank you for help.
bhk6,

I really can't specifically comment not knowing the details, including seeing his catheterization.

I think any time you are told that 'thats just the way it is' you should seek a second opinion.  Preferably at a tertiary referral center. There are other options for refractory angina without options for revascularization such as eecp. It would be reasonable to explore these options.

good luck
Thank you for your input Anacyde and the Dr.

Anacyde, I would be interested in learning what the new treatments are, tho of course every case is different. It is a long drivee for us to the Cleveland Clinic.

bhk6
Thank you for the links.  I had previously read almost everything pertinent on the CC website....it is great.

Husband saw cardiologist today, going to put a heart monitor on him tomorrow for 24 hours as his pulse is low and to see what else may be going on.  Also reduced BP medicine.    He is just totally exhausted.

I'll check out your links.  

bhk6

No he wasn't exhausted like this before Lexapro, He has been on Lexapro for 2 years w/no side effects, but you could be right about mixing with different BP meds.....will check it out at next appt. in 2 weeks.....

bhk6
I just had an angioplasty 9 days ago. It showed no blockage.But I  developed an inflamation (inflammation) of the sac around the heart.  I take Naproxen 500 twice a day for the inflamation (inflammation) and Provicid to protect the stomach from this medication.
Also,thhe first two days following the angioplasty I had trouble breathing at night. But now I don't.Plus I have had a week of extreme malaise , that comes in waves, I hate the way I feel. I also feel not good when I walk at a normal pace. Did I have a heart attack from the angioplasty?