Heart Disease Expert Forum
Conflicting opinions on diagnosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Conflicting opinions on diagnosis

My husband has sent various test results for a second opinion, after being told he has severe prolapse/regurgitation of BOTH aortic and mitral valves.
When he got the second take on test results, he was told the aortic didn't look bad at all, and maybe there was some other problem?  The mitral valve was confirmed -definitely has a problem.
(btw, it took a good three weeks for the records to make it to the doc doing the second reading!)
Is it possible that two cardiologists, looking at the same echo results (2), TEE results and digital images, stress test and other records could come to such different conclusions?  
He has been slogging through this process, assumed he had to do both vales in open chest procedure- trying to figure out which valve makes sense as well. He is almost 64 and active, and seems to be in a grey zone re: mechanical vs. tissue.  
Now it feels like total confusion about what the problem really is?
We are now considering trying to find someone to give us a third opinion.    Do cardiologists generally do this kind of service for patients to whom they have no personal connection?  
Not typically.  I think it's sometimes difficult to get a good assessment of what going when looking at tests and studies there weren't done by that person.  So, it sounds like to MV is prolapsing and there is severe regurgitation and it needs to be fixed.  Not sure what the deal is with the aortic valve, but presumably it also isn't functioning well.  I would first recommend going to an experienced center where mitral valve repair rather than replacement can be performed precluding the need for any prosthesis.  This by far is the best way to treat this disease.  If the aortic valve is also bad than it should be replaced.  AV repair is very difficult.  Based on his age I would probably recommend a bioprosthesis.  He will get about 15 years out of it.  
thanks for the input.
We are going to pick up all his records tomorrow, and might be seeing / getting input from at least one more cardiologist.  There are some good surgeons in our area who do a lot of valve procedures, and it would be great if he only had to do the mitral and could go with a port access procedure.  Thanks for the opinion about the bioprothesis too. The surgeon we talked to said if it was him, that's how he would go.  I guess if you are past middle age, you might not wear one out so fast.
This is a lengthy procedure- glad it's not a life threatening situation and we have a little time to decide and do research.