Heart Disease Community
Confused, Need help please.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Confused, Need help please.

so i was recently dx'd with lyme disease. but recently had an echocardiogram before that not knowing so. i got my results faxed to me from the place where i had the echo and im confused by the results. ive seen a cardiologist before who says im a normal healthy 24 year old with very bad anxiety which i know, i had an echo last year that was normal, and holter monitor this year that was normal. still ive been having palpatations and left chest pain for about 2 years so my doctor said i could have another echo to make me feel better. (bad anxiety i have)

so the echo states... everything is normal but i have mild mitral regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, and mild pulmonic regurgitation... but then at the end it states .. "normal study" .. that doesnt seem normal to me? im very worried now somethings wrong with my heart. i work in a doctors office who have told me look it says normal study!!! just figured id ask to see peoples opinions...
Well, as odd as it sounds, 'mild' is very slight. It really isn't so strange to see valves have a very slight leak, in fact a lot of the population is in the same situation. It's so common, you could really class it as a normal thing. No need to worry, and an echo in 2 years is a great heart management scheme, it will ensure they are not getting any worse and give you peace of mind. Oh and don't worry, they won't suddenly become severe in a few weeks :)
A defective heart valve is one that fails to either open or close fully. When a valve doesn't close tightly, blood can leak backward. This backward flow through a valve is called regurgitation. The valves are leaking ever so mildly on your report.  The mitral valve consists of flaps called leaflets or cusps that open and close to help ensure the continued forward flow of blood through the heart. When mitral regurgitation is present, blood leaks backwards through the mitral valve and into the left atrium when the heart contracts. This means that less blood is pumped out of the heart to supply the body. If the amount of MR is small and does not progress, the backward leak has no significant consequences. When it's mild, valve regurgitation may never cause a serious threat to your health.

This is copied from some reseach I did on the net. I think in your case the leaking can be considered insignificant.  But it would certainly warrant watching. Take care, Ally

thank you everyone. my doctors nurse just called and told me it is perfectly fine.