Heart Disease Expert Forum
Confused about Afib

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Confused about Afib

A couple of years ago, I went to a cardiologist who ran several tests, including a holter for 48 hours or so.  He diagnosis was Afib & MVP and placed me on a low dose beta blocker.  When it came time for my annual check up, he was no longer with the cardiac group as before.  So, I saw a different doctor who did an EKG and told me I didn't have Afib or MVP.  She also told me the first doctor's record indicated no diagnosis on my chart, and she took me off the med.  This left me to wonder if I took medicine for a year for no reason.  Since this time (over a year ago), I have learned my father has heart trouble, along with both grandfathers.  Both brothers have high BP - mine is low.  While I don't have a rapid heart rate, it gets out of rhythm very often (up to 10 skips per minute) - adding a beat and skipping a beat - drives me nuts.  Decided to call for a copy of my records and was told by assistant that my records did say I was diagnosed with "Controlled Afib with PVC's and PAC's".  What does this mean, and should I go back to first doctor?  Not sure if I have a heart condition or not.  I am a 43 yr old female with no other heart symptoms - work hard in the yard and exercise with no problems.  Tend to wake up often during the night with heart out of rhythm.  Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Afib can be intermittent, so it's not impossible that one doctor saw it on a Holter and one doctor didn't see it on a ECG. Having PACs and PVCs is completely normal and nothing to worry about. Mitral valve prolapse is not diagnosed on a Holter or ECG, but with an echocardiogram. If you haven't had one, you should. If you felt better on the Metoprolol, then it may have been helping to control bursts of Afib or the PACs/PVCs.

If there is some uncertainty about whether you did or didn't have Afib, you could always wear another Holter monitor to be sure.