Heart Disease Expert Forum
Congenital Aortic Valve Deformity--Is it genetic?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By MuffyAZ on February 09, 1999 at 20:16:21:

Several years ago, while in my mid-20s, I was diagnosed with a heart an unusual sounding heart murmur.  EKGs were normal, and an echocardiogram (with and without Dopler) appeared to show a bicuspid aortic valve.  
Approximately 10 years later, my father (who also had an unusual murmur) was diagnosed with aortic valve deformity and stenosis (he was 70 at the time).  During the aortic valve replacement process, it was discovered that he had only ONE cusp on his aortic valve.  
My father's mother also had a strange heart murmur, but as she died in the early 1970s, a definitive diagnosis is not available.  I do, however, believe that she suffered from a congenital valve malformation (based on my history and that of my father).
Is this condition primarily an inherited one?  And where might I find data on the incidence of aortic valve malformation, including any data indicating a familial link?  I have to report on an inherited condition for a biological anthropology class, and since I have this condition (and in my family it does seem to be inherited), I would like to pursue this as my subject.
Thank you!