Congenital Mitral Insufficiency + Sinus Tachycardia
I am a 28 year old female, overweight with high BP, woke up one night out of a dead sleep with a squeezing pain in my heart. I went to the ER, had the routine EKG, blood work, x-ray of the heart and everything looked normal to the doctor. She said it was most likely stress and to follow up with my primary care physician. Upon meeting with my doctor, she seemed to think it was more than stress and felt my resting pulse and it was at 130 and said I was tachy. She immediately put me on Metoprolol and scheduled me a Stress Echocardiogram. the ECG let the doctor know i had mild Congenital Mitral Insufficiency. Since then, I have had palpitations and chest pain daily, seems to be getting worse by the day...most of my symptoms happen at night making me scared to even go to sleep. I wear an Event Monitor and am currently wearing the 24 Hour Event Monitor to find out more about the palpitations/pains. Last night i woke out of a deep sleep to a strong pain in my heart (left side). I sat up and it went away after a few minutes but left me very scared. Since all of this has been going on, I have started eating clean, no caffeine and began exercising. I cant keep going to the ER as they just dismiss me and say they cant find anything. Can anyone tell me what is going on with me? Thank you!!
Hi morganqueen.

You are young and with proper attention to your CV and heart health
you should be able to improve.
Your symptoms seem to be consistent with your mitral insufficiency.
What seems to be significant is that it is congenital
(meaning:existing at birth and often before birth, or that develops during the first month of life -wikipedia). So is it for sure congenital? If yes, then what caused its malfunctioning only now, as of the onset of these symptoms?
What are the co-factors?
Stress, deficiencies such as magnesium,
chronic inflammation, HBP, overweight, low cellular energy production
all have to be addressed, as contributing co-factors to my opinion.

I would be asking my doctor all these questions.
You deserve some explanation and also to be given some direction.
Take care and post again!
Niko
Hi there,

I also had mitral incompetence - congenital defect - and I was asymptomatic for 31 years (2 pregnancies and a lot of other operations and no one picked up anything!) and then one day I went into A-fib and had trouble breathing and ER visit, Cardio ICU and echo and diagnoses of Grade 2-3 Mitral valve incompetence.  6 months later I had Cardiac Ablation and 6 months after that I was in total heart failure - could not walk or do small things without getting really tired and could not do my normal activities without symptoms (palpitations/chest pain/shortness of breath) and I had a lot of fluid retention.  My mitral valve incompetence was Graded at 6 and I had OHS to repair mitral valve.

It sounds scary and it was at the time, but I am now doing great!

My advice to you today:  listen to your body and if you notice a change or feel short of breath with minimal exertion, then go and see your Cardio and get an echo done.

It is important to do the repair/replacement before permanent damage to your heart and lungs.  Some people get away with not needing a repair/replacement and some patients go from grade 3 - 6 in a very short time.  

If you need any more info, I would gladly help :)  take care,