Heart Disease Community
Congestive Heart Failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Congestive Heart Failure

Very upset.. My grandpa recently had swollen ankles and feet.. his bp also remained quite high these days though he has been a patient of hypertension for the past 12 years.. Today he was taken to the hospital after he complained of uneasiness and it was seen he had low bp.. at the hospital the docs told my father that he was having a congestive cardiac failure.. Everybody is tensed at home..
I just wanted to know if it is possible to control or cure this keeping in mind his age (he's 83).. any information or guidance would be of great help.. thank u..
It does indeed sound like your grandfather is showing symptoms of CHF.  I'm guessing that a BNP blood test was administered, which most hospitals use to determine the diagnosis.  
I've recently gone through the same experience, and was given some drugs that have helped me become much more comfortable. If his lungs are quite full of fluid it is possible that they will drain them and then administer the drugs.  I'm not as old as your grandfather, but not that far behind him in years.  
Your grandfather has a good chance of easing his symptoms with good medical care, and could become much more comfortable, and even get back on his feet. Do keep us informed.
Thank u so much.. It gives so much relief that drugs can help him.. i will keep informed.. Thanks once again..
There are a lot of treatments for CHF but many of them are invasive (surgery) and given that he's 83 it might be too risky.  There are drugs and lifestyle changes that can be made, but it is a very serious issue if he's having symptoms.