Congestive heartfailure -- size of left ventricle?
My husband is 61, 6.2 tall and weighs ca. 200 lbls. He has severe dilated cardiomyopathy and has been informed that he has a left ventricular dilation of 7.7 cm. I would like to know what would be the normal size of the left ventricule for someone of his height and weight, and the seriousness of this condition. How much can the ventricule dilate and how long can you live with it? Thankyou.
According to my records the normal size is 3.5 to 5.7 cm...women generally have smaller size and a very large sized individual may have a larger diastolic heart size than normal.  

An enlarged heart is not a disease, it is the result of a condition such as high blood pressure, valve insufficiency or non-compliance, etc. The treatment of the underlying cause can return the heart to normal size and functionality, Untreated or unsuccessfully treatment the heart will continue to dilate causing poor contactility and heart failure and/or a fatal irregular heart rate....the specific size is not the determining factor but how well one is compensated for a heart problem.

I had a dilated heart 7 years ago, and with proper medical treatment, exercise, proper diet, etc. my heart has returned to normal size and is functioning normally.

Thanks for sharing and if you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  Take care,

Ken