Heart Disease Community
Constant chest pain and loss of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Constant chest pain and loss of breath

Hi there,

I am a slightly overweight 22 year old male. For the past 4 months or so I have been experiencing constant burning in the left side of my chest. It feels like my breast is on fire. Sometimes the pain will cause my nipple to become erect at which point it starts to burn, usually worse then my chest itself.

I have noticed that my chest pains are accompanied by shortness in breath. I feel like I constantly have to be aware of my breath, making sure to breathe deeply so I feel like I'm getting oxygen. On occasions I will find myself unable to breathe out of no where. My vision will blurr and I find myself gasping for breathe, struggling to stay conscious. This will happen every 2-3 weeks, and it scares me half to death everytime.

Other possibly related symptoms I have been experiencing are frequent stomach aches, sometimes so painful that I find myself crying. This is generally accompanied by varying degrees of nausea. I've also been experiencing daily headaches, with a migraine occurring 1-2 times per week. These might not be related to the chest pains and lack of breathe, but I listed them just incase.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Chest pain which radiates to the breast may not be angina. Angina or pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart is usually retrosternal (mid chest or slightly to the left) and is usually brought on by exercise and relieved by rest.

Your symptoms of chest pain, stomach pain, nausea and breathlessness could all be attributed to GERD, (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), where the acid contents of the stomach come up into the esophagus. This is more common in overweight individuals. Along with OTC antacids you can try lifestyle measures. Take frequent small meals. Eat dinner about two hours before sleeping. Elevate the head end of the bed. Keep a food diary and note down what aggravates your symptoms and avoid them. Ensure to maintain optimum weight by regular exercise. Avoid non steroidal  anti inflammatory medications NSAIDs, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. These measures need to be practiced long term for results.

If your symptoms are not improving with the above measures, consult your doctor to rule out cardiac or lung causes for the breathlessness.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.