Heart Disease Expert Forum
Constrictive Pericarditis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Constrictive Pericarditis

My husband has been diagnosed with constrictive pericarditis caused most likely by a blow to the chest when he was around 20 he is now almost 40. The doctors have said they will probably remove at least the front part of the pericardium. We have not talked to the surgeons yet this was recently diagnosed, what I want to know is what to expect after this is done are there any side efects or dangers that could happen later. I do realize the dangers of this operation and have read that the death rate is high. I cannot find alot of information on the procedure or copmlications later down the road from the partial removal of the pericardium. I want to be well informed when we talk to the doctors later this week.
A pericardial stripping is difficult surgery, that not all cardiac surgeons are experienced in. It should only be performed by a surgeon with some expertise in this area. It does not always relieve symptoms, and inflammation can lead to recurrence of symptoms even if the surgery helps initially.
I had my pericadium totally removed about 21 years ago.  I never knew it was such a dangerous surgery, at least no one ever told me that it was.  I had scar tissue on my paricadium probably caused by some kind of infection.  I was having shortness of breath, chest pain and fast heart rate.  Those symptoms went away after the surgery.  I have other heart problems, but they are not related to the paricarditis.  I don't see too many postings about paricaditus.  Good luck to you and your husband!
A related discussion, pericardium was started.
A related discussion, Removing the pericardium was started.