Heart Disease Expert Forum
Continous Chest Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Continous Chest Pain

I have been having discomfort in the left chest area for approximately 3 years.  The pain is primarily in the upper left chest with the pain extending down left arm on occassions.  An EKG has indicated no problem with my heart.  However, the pain does not go away.  Doctors have diagnosed it as GERD, however, I have no indigestion, heartburn, typical problematic foods does not make it any better or worse.  Upper GI series revealed no signs of acid reflux or any abnomalities.  Upper endoscopy revealed nothing.  My concern is that maybe there is something else wrong in the cardiac area but we continue to concentrate on diagnosing it as acid reflux.  Does not hurt in stomach or down center of chest. Had a couple of medical personnel asked if I had completed a stress test.  Answer no.  

Am I worrying for no good reason or should I be somewhat concerned.  My mother has atrial fibrillation and have had two uncles with major bypass surgery and heart attacks.  I do not smoke, cholestrol is 182 and am not overweight.
Continuous chest pain of this type is very unlikely to be cardiac.  It may be musculoskeletal in nature.  

You should however have a full cardiac evaluation by your phsyician to put this to rest.
Please let me know what you find out, I have been having the same problems. I have a dull ache on the left side of my chest and also around my back.  I will have a sensation of someone pinching my left arm at times.  I have had seveal stress test done.  Echo, regular 12 lead ekg and a cardiolit done all turned up normal.  It seams to come on when I drink sevral cups of coffee and when I am under stress at work.  I have been to three diffrent Cardio Dr's and they all say nothing is wrong with my heart.  I am 36 year old male  non smoker and slighly over weight.  I would love to find out what it really is.  Owen
Best of Luck to both of you.
My husband is a very health concious man .  No extremes in his life.  Except a hard worker, overly concientious and so type A .  He has been suffering from chest pain (as you describe) for about a year.  I am a former practicing cardiac nurse.  I have sent him to be evaluaated for his pain. He has had normal EcG's etc.....No diagnosis.  NSAID THERAPY has not worked well.  But that could also be because he doesnot believe it is musculoskeletal, and poorly follows the OTC therapy I have suggested for him.  It is faintly possible that it could be gastro (Mr. Type A) has been evaluated  for GERD but the test was "inconclusive".  He finds it hard to believe that deep left sided pectoral pain that radiates to his arm and hand is or could be musculoskeletal.  His pain does not respond to movement or pressure.  There is no pressure point i could find.  He exhibits no signs of ischemia besides the pain itself.  I am dumb founded.  If someone could give me a reasonable explaination about the physiology of this pain and how it could be refered down his arm like this I might be more able to calm his fears of unknowing. No likes to be told its all in your head.  This certainly is in his chest.  The question is just were?  If someone could answer the question on how this refered pain works. If OTC NSAID therapy is the treatment. HELP I'm frustrrated!