Contradictory Findings?
I am a healthy 50 year old male with family history of ASHD in my father who died at age 57 of the same. I recently (last two weeks) had a Berkley Heartlab panel done with findings of LDL 133 and LP(a) of 102. Also APOe genotype of 3/4.  My MD advised Crestor and Niaspan. I took it upon myself to have an Ultrafast CT scan of the heart and the total score came back at 9.54, putting me in the lowest risk category. My question is why is it necessary to take the above meds for what sounds like the rest of my life, when the plaque buildup in my coronary arteries is so low after living 50 years? I am unconvinced that this is necessary, but my MD feels strongly about continuing. Any insight would be appreciated.
Well even your LDL number is in the recommended range for heart patients in the UK with atherosclerosis, so I cannot understand why. I would think it's just the fact of the family history. However, what your Doctor has to realise is that ASHD is caused by many possible factors and those include many types of lifestyle. If you are not following in the footsteps of your Father with lifestyle, then there are high chances you will not get the disease. Stress for example could have been a problem with your Father, but maybe you are far more laid back. High blood pressure is another important factor.
I think you did a brilliant move there with the scan, and I don't see any point in taking medication for the sake of it.
It's a bit like me taking cough syrup several times a day just in case I catch a cold.