Heart Disease Community
Coping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Coping

Let me start by saying this forum is awesome! The information and comfort one gets here is very valuable. None of my friends or family 'really' understand what I'm dealing with and I come to this site and know that I'm not alone and what I'm experiencing is real.

I was diagnosed with idiopathic cardiomyopathy when I was 24. Now at age 37, over the past couple of years I've also been dealing with palpitations (EF around 30%, dr. catg. me as "low risk" & otherwise good health). I'm scheduled to have an ICD implanted soon for "precautionary purposes". Sometimes this entire "heart" issue gets overwhelming. I pray alot and I try to be as knowlegeable as possible. Although,sometimes some of the information I get induces more anxiety.

My question is....how do you cope with anxieties regarding your heart health?

Thanks so much!
Hey there, I just wanted to tell you hi and that I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.  I have pac's, pvc's, sinus tachycardia  and supraventricular tachycardia.  I just started a beta blocker 2 weeks ago, so I'm fairly new to the st and svt.  I'm still undergoing different testing to make sure there isn't anything causing the svt and st.  i will probably have an ablation down the road to try to get rid of the svt, but I mainly wanted to comment on your anxiety issue.  I just started seeing a psychologist this week to handle my anxiety.  I have always have anxiety and panic, and boy when I found out I really did have a heart condition, it just sent me over the edge.  My biggest anxiety disorder has always been over my health and Dr.'s so I am scared everytime I have to go see my Dr. and then just driving by a hospital puts me in a panic attack.  I am having a super hard time dealing with this, but I have to, right?  It does get very overwhelming, and I can't imagine what your going through.  I'm sorry other people haven't commented to you, but I know that there are lots of people who have a hard time dealing with the anxiety of it.  I am a great believer in God, yet, at the first test of my health, I cripple up instead of just trusting.  Doesn't make me feel good.  So, along with the therapy, I am also trying to learn to be stronger in my faith.  I am only 36 (tomorrow) and I am not wanting to live afraid, and right now I am.  I'm here if you need to talk ever.  Take Care, Michelle
HAS YOUR EF EVER IMPROVED OR HAS IT ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME?  HAS YOUR DR PUT YOU ON ANY MEDICATIONS TO HELP WITH IT? I WAS DIAGNOSED 2/06 W/EF OF 40-45 BUT SUBSEQUENTLY 5 MONTHS LATER MUGA SCAN REVEALED HEART NO LONGER SHOWED ANY WEAKNESS & EF WAS UP TO 63%. I WAS ON COREG 3.125 THEN INCREASED TO 6.25 2XDAILY, ASPIRIN & TOOK VERAPIMIL FOR A SHORT WHILE BUT IT DIDNT AGREE W/ME, SENT TO ME HOSPITAL.  I EXERCISE 3 OR MORE TIMES WEEKLY BY WALKING 45MIN-TO ONE HOUR & TAKE MULTI-VITAMIN, MAGNESIUM, DRINK VITAMIN WATER CONTAINING POTASSIUM & ELECTROLYTE, ALSO COQ10 100MG ONCE DAILY.  I WILL SEE CARDIO IN DECEMBER POSSIBLY TO CHECK EF, HAVE APPT W/EP DR FOR FOLLOW UP FROM JUNE AFTER BEING OFF THE VERAPIMIL NEARLY 4 MONTHS. BUT FOR MOST PART FEEL FINE MOST DAYS, THEY SEEM TO THINK MYOPATHY WAS STRESS RELATED, 2 HEART CATHETERS SHOWED NO HEART DAMAGE OR BLOCKAGES ( I HAD VERY STRESSFUL YEAR PERSONALLY IN MY LIFE SEEM LIKE ALL TO CLOSET RELATIVES EMOTIONALLY ATTACKED ME INCLUDING HUSBAND). BUT BY THE GRACE OR GOD & MUCH PRAYER AND FINDING GOOD PEOPLE IN MY LIFE TO LOVE AND SUPPORT ME I GOT BETTER.  I HOPE AND PRAY THE SAME THINGS FOR YOU. MY GRANDMOTHER HAS BEEN LIVING W/HEART ISSUES FOR MANY YEARS ALSO, SHE HAD BI-PACEMAKER/ICD. MUCH LOVE YOU TOO AND TAKE CARE.
Thanks for replying to my post, your well wishes and support mean so much to me.

miche35: Happy Belated Birthday! I hope it was an enjoyable one. I'm interested in hearing how helpful your therapy goes, that may be a route I need to take myself. I can relate to your anxiety and the idea of having heart issues at such a young age. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to deal with episodes of palpitations, sob or dizziness. I am fighting so hard not to let 'fear' control me. My faith is growing strong and fast. I know I have to work on it EVERYDAY!

brazzy3: I'm told my EF has been consistent for the past couple of years. Currently, my regimen consists of Coreg and Aspirin. It sounds like you're on track and taking very good care of yourself. I've recently incorporated treadmill exercise 4-5 times a week. Previously I was too afraid to exercise due to the palpitations freaking me out (I'm working on that).  I've be advised to have an ICD implant and will see my 2ND opinion Dr. tomorrow.

Thanks again for your replies. Take care!
i am so glad to hear that other people freak out with thier arrythmias.  i am a 46 year old woman that has had multiple heart surgeries. i have multiple arrythmias and have had defibrillator for 12 years now.  anxiety seems to be a big part of my life.  i have had bad experiences with my implant that seems to make anxiety worse.  going to the store alone, work or basically anything can cause me anxiety.  the way i deal with it is by praying.  if i did not have my faith i know i couldnt cope.  god has been good to me.  through everything i know i am not alone.