Heart Disease Expert Forum
Coronary Artery Small

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Coronary Artery Small

I am female, 42, diabetic and have high blood pressure. I take ACE Inhib, Beta Blocker, and Calcium channel blocker.  My BP now averages 140/85 - better than it's been. I was experiencing some shortness of breath so I went to a cardiologist - My heart and kidneys checked out fine - during my cardiac cath, the doctor noticed that I have a large, clear blood supply system from my right coronary artery to the whole heart. If fact he said that it probably was supplying 95% of the blood supply to my heart.  The left coronary artery is very small with only a few branches.  My question, is there any danger in having vertually only one main coronary artery?  My doctors here don't seem to be worried.  

Thanks!
I am assuming that the left sided coronary artery is just small as you describe, and that it is not severely diseased and therefore small-appearing. I am assuming that you also do not have some congenital anomaly with your coronary arteries. If it is just that you were born with a small left sided artery and there is no part of your heart that does not need more blood, then there is no problem. You do want to make sure you take good care of your high blood pressure and diabetes (and high cholesterol if that applies) to reduce your chances of developing coronary artery disease.