Heart Disease Community
Coughing during sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Coughing during sex

My problem is similar to the previous poster. I am 68 yrs old with the usual middle age problems. Controlled diabetes, controlled high blood pressure, acid reflux and heart disease. I went to the doctor with this problem 2 years ago. He order a stress test which I failed. 4 stents later I was pronounced cured. Unfortunately, this symptom persists. As I near orgasm it feels as though I am getting fluid in my lungs and begin coughing up very thin clear mucus. This can continue for up to 1/2 hr. My breathing is fine but it is a very unpleasaant experience. My GP is stumped. I have found that if I sit up rather than being on my back, the reaction is greatly reduced. I havw suspected that it has something to do with the vagus nerve because I now pass my stress test and have always been able to do cardio stress stuff without a problem. Seeing as how the previous poster's note is 10 yrs old I thought I'd check and see if there has been any progress in this area.  

This discussion is related to Coughing/Gagging connected to sexual intercourse.
I am a 33 year old female and just exerienced this for the first time recently.  I have no diagnosed heart issues or anything else.  The only thing I am being treated for is environmental allergoes.  
I think it scared my husband and confused the both of us.  I was thinking I was abnormal because I had never heard of this happening.  I guess I am relieved to know that I am not alone, but I still fel a sens of confusion.  Any info. on this subject would be helpful.
My husband has experienced this but it is due to his hiatal hernia and acid reflux.
First off, I hope I can still have sex at 68, so bravo.  I had a similar issue with a cough during certain activities and that time I did have sex.  I also woke up with fluid in my lungs that made a gurgling sound.  After two years of every pulminary test you can think of it turned out to me my mitral valve leaking.  I got the surgery and it has cleard up.