Heart Disease Expert Forum
Could Dental Problems Lead to SVT?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Could Dental Problems Lead to SVT?

I have recently been diagnosed with SVT and skipped beats (are these PVC's?).  My problems began about 1 1/2 years ago with syncopal episodes and racing heart.  I still am having trouble with the syncopal episodes (average 2-3 times/week).  I underwent a left heart cath in July which, fortunately, showed no blockages -- this was when my cardiologist said I had the SVT and skipped beats.  There is, however, some concern that my syncopal episodes may not totally be related to the heart -- there is a possibility of some type of seizure activity, however, we are attempting to get the heart rate under control first to see if that helps.

Anyway -- about 4 weeks ago I started having a lot of trouble with a bad tooth/jaw ache.  I went to my dentist and he discovered that I have 4 abscessed teeth -- 3 up top and 1 on the bottom.  I am scheduled to have these removed on August 2 by the oral surgeon and have been on antibiotics and pain meds ever since (which, by the way are NOT helping with the pain at all).  The dentist felt that I have had a problem for quite a while but was unaware of it until the pain started.

I was recently speaking with a friend of the family and mentioned the problem that I was having with my teeth and she made the comment that dental problems can be very hard on the heart.  She has a daughter who was born with a heart problem (I'm sorry, but I don't know what type of problem) and she has to be given antibiotics whenever she has any type of dental work done.  She thought that perhaps my dental problems may be a contributing factor to my SVT.

1) Could the abscesses be contributing to the SVT and/or the syncope?

2) I thought that only people with leaky valves needed to be premedicated with antibiotics prior to dental procedures -- is this true or should ANYONE with a heart related problem be premedicated?

3) If the dental problems could/are contributing to the SVT and syncope, are there any precautions that should be taken prior to my oral surgery (I will be receiving general anesthesia).

4) My cardiologist has prescribed Zebeta for the SVT and skipped beats, but I have not started the meds yet.  I also have asthma and when it was prescribed for me, I was having a little trouble with that.  The docs said to wait until I was clear with the asthma for 3-4 days before beginning the Zebeta.  Well, then the teeth started up and I've been on the pain meds (Tylenol #3) ever since, so did not want to start a new med while on that. -- How long do I need to be off the Tylenol #3 before beginning the Zebeta?

5) With the SVT and skipped beats, is there anything that I need to especially watch out for after the oral surgery as far as possible complications?

Thank you in advance for your reply.  I've been reading this forum for almost a year and find it very helpful.  You doctors that take the time to answer our questions renew my faith in the medical field -- so many doctors now a days only want to get the patients in and out quickly so they can get as many people seen as possible so they can bill more insurance companies.  But the doctors there at the Cleveland Clinic truly put the patient first.  God Bless you all!!
A: It would be hard to think of a link between the two.  Of course the body is one whole so it is always possible.  It will be interesting to see if your heart symptoms improve once the dental work is complete.

2) I thought that only people with leaky valves needed to be premedicated with antibiotics prior to dental
     procedures -- is this true or should ANYONE with a heart related problem be premedicated?
A: You are correct that it is only those with valvular conditions that need premedication prior to dental procedures.

3) If the dental problems could/are contributing to the SVT and syncope, are there any precautions that should be
     taken prior to my oral surgery (I will be receiving general anesthesia).
A: Only those given you by the surgeon.

4) My cardiologist has prescribed Zebeta for the SVT and skipped beats, but I have not started the meds yet. I
     also have asthma and when it was prescribed for me, I was having a little trouble with that. The docs said to wait
     until I was clear with the asthma for 3-4 days before beginning the Zebeta. Well, then the teeth started up and I've
     been on the pain meds (Tylenol #3) ever since, so did not want to start a new med while on that. -- How long do
     I need to be off the Tylenol #3 before beginning the Zebeta?
A: There is no interaction between Tylenol 3 and Zebeta so they can be taken at the same time.

5) With the SVT and skipped beats, is there anything that I need to especially watch out for after the oral surgery
     as far as possible complications?
A: There can be an increase in palpitations with surgery.  You may want to start taking the Zebeta prior to surgery and continue taking it afterwards.  Watch for increase palpitations, syncope and any signs or symptoms of infection.
I would like to ask how did the dental surgeon determine that you have abcesses in several teeth 3 or 4 ?Was that by means of Xrays or by just the fact that you have pain and swelling in your jaws?
Mike
Hi Mike --

The dentist took several X-Rays to diagnose the abscesses -- both bite wing X-Rays and regular.  I went with the complaint of pain and told him about where the pain was (referred pain is very common in the mouth, so sometimes it is hard to pinpoint exactly where the pain is coming from) and from that they could figure out what/where to X-Ray.
But it still remains unclear how they diagnosed your abcesses in your teeth. An abcess (abscess) is usualy a ball shaped object on xrays which  stands out from the rest of the picture(a circular white shape usually at the top of the root=apex). You might want to double check YOUR XRAYS because you might be just getting rid of your healthy teeth ~~~the dentists will get xtra $'s for replacing them. Look at the xrays yourself -maybe by now its to late ...but if not search for white circular shapes.Most
reference dental /medical books should have an illustration of a tooth abcess (abscess) unless they are swollen and hurt pretty much. By the way what you asked at the beggining is know as the so called "focal point theory".
Mike
Once on this forum I said in a kidding way that palpitations can result from fillings in teeth. Just recently I discovered a shocking reality; that silver fillings called amalgams are actually a mixture of 50% mercury, 35% silver and the rest copper and tin. If you have "silver fillings" which are amalgams then you have mercury dissolving in your mouth at about 20 micrograms per filling per day. 2/3 of the mercury you excrete comes from your teeth. The alarming part (though it is all alarming) is that this formula of 50% mercury has been used without change for 160 years. Though there is an ongoing controversy to this day, the AMA (American Dental Association) insists that amalgams are harmless although they were involved in patenting a mercury free formula. If you don't believe me then put the word "amalgam" in any search engine and see what you come up with. Mercury poisoning is believed by some to cause everything from palpitations to Alzheimers, even Lupus, Headaches, arthritis, etc. I am having my 5 fillings removed; I don't care about the cost. They believed the Hindenburg and the Titanic and the design of the Challenger Shuttle was safe too. Don't wait till they change their minds about amalgams; do the research now.
buddv
Hello
All of my fillings are composite as of today.
I had some large amalgamate ones previously-is there a correlation between mercury poisoning from amalgam teeth fillings and possible reb/white blood cell levels ?
I am not a doctor. Yet I will tell you something very unusual seems to be happening to me. My palpitations are almost non existant and have been so for three days although I have stopped taking the arrythmic drug amiodarone. There could be one reason or many for this, and perhaps it will not last, but I am hopefull. The changes I have made in my life:

I eat about a box of Kashi cereal which is not sweetened and has no salt, a puffed grain cereal.

I chew on the side of my mouth where I have no amalgams.

I have been taking magnesium and Co Q10 tablets, also vitamin C.
But just recently about a week ago I began taking Selenium.

These are the only changes I have made to my knowledge. Perhaps
I may think of a few more later.

Whatever the reason the episodes seem to be truly fading. From a maximum of one skip out of every heartbeat to only perhaps 4 a day, They seem to be fading away. I am just glad things seem to be changing for the better.