Heart Disease Expert Forum
Could I have coronary artery spasms?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Could I have coronary artery spasms?

Hi, I am a female 25 years old - had a baby 7 months ago.  Since the beginning of September, I have had chest pain that moves around but stays mostly on my left side.  It also moves to my left arm, shoulder and jaw.  I also have indigestion/burping and some shortness of breath.  I have had a chest x-ray, CT scan of chest, 9 EKGs, Thallium stress test, echo and all came back normal.  I've even been to ER and had EKG monitor for 5 hours - normal and normal cardio work up.  My BP is very low - usually 100/55 and my HDL is 54 and my LDL is 71.  I have no family history of heart disease and I'm in good shape and not overweight. I have had anxiety in the past - on prozac and ativan but this is the longest I've ever worried about somethign and had real symptoms for.  My regular MD, cardiologist, and gastro tell me its not my heart.  I just don't know.  My gastro did upper endoscopy and said I have gastritis but I don't think that would cause chest pain.  He said that doesn't test for GERD but he thinks I have it.  I do burp an awful lot and can't eat much lately. He has given me 40 mg nexium - been taking for 2 weeks. My questions are...
1. Is it possible for me to be having coronary artery spasms(I hear they can happen to anyone)?
2. Could that cause a heart attack in someone so young?
3. Would my tests have showed anything?
4. What tests should I press for?
5. Do you think it is just GERD or gastritis?
6. Can that cause the chest pain?
I would really appreciate your input!!!
Thank you so much!
Mels,

Thanks for the post.

Actually, they generally happen in people that have at least some mild coronary disease. With your risk profile this would be unlikely. Further, most of your symptoms do not sound like spasm. Couple that with symptoms typical for GERD and physical findings characteristic of GERD (Gastrits) and I would be looking in that direction for your answers.

Again, it really doesnt sound like your having spasm.

3. Would my tests have showed anything?

They did show something....they were negative. That is often just as important.

4. What tests should I press for?

The more you go looking the more likely you will end up with a false positive test. With oyur workup, I wouldnt look for any other test.

Sounds very like it!

6. Can that cause the chest pain?

Definitely! Enjoy your 7 month old. If you have gastritis on your endoscopy I would talk to your physician about treatment options.

good luck
1 Comment
I have had bad chest pain after eating spicy and acidic foods. Acid reflux can cause symptoms other then just a burning sensation.
A related discussion, mels22 try this... was started.
A related discussion, coronary artery spasms was started.