Could I have done more than CPR
My husband died while I was performing CPR on him Oct 29, 2010. He was only 55 yrs old. He was not fat, nor was he thin, very active in walking, and was fit for a man who liked his beer! The death certificate said cause of death was "Fatal Cardiac Arrhythmia", and the onset and death was "minutes". I began CPR on him as soon as I heard him gasping for air and saw his hands were drawn up to his chest. We were in the car together and had just pulled into the drive way so I know he wasn't doing this before this time. I  did CPR until the First Responders arrived and they took over, until the ambulance arrived and they took over and took him to ER.  They said they did get a heart beat back, but it didn't last.
Could I have done more at the beginning to avoid this tragedy?
How brave you were!  To keep your head about you and initiate CPR was the ultimate gift.  You did all you could do.  Please don't blame yourself.  How lucky a man he was to have you in the final moments of his life....most of us won't be so lucky.  God Bless and keep you.
I am so sorry for your loss.  You certainly did everything humanly possible.  You are in my prayers.   Just take comfort in knowing that your husband will always love you and always be near.  God bless you.

Jeri
I am very sorry for your loss.  I performed CPR on my mother who was 56 at the time and I was 35.  I did this until the paramedics arrived, although I was not successful either.  I struggled with this for some time, but the doctors did tell me that there was nothing I could of done to help.  Her gastric artery ruptured.  I did what I could to help my mother and I know that she knows that.  It did take some time to realize all of this but time does help.  Be strong.  You are doing the right thing to talk about what you are feeling.  Keep talking and know in your heart that you did all you could.  He is with you always.
Sorry to hear about your loss :(
The natural human response to such things is guilt, you keep haunting yourself, wondering if you should have done something differently. I lost my mother in ER when her heart stopped, 6 Doctors kept telling me there was nothing wrong with her heart. If I knew then what I know now, I would have demanded an angiogram. But we can't keep kicking ourselves over what has happened. If ever my heart stops, I certainly hope there's someone like you around who knows what they're doing. You did everything possible but some things are just beyond human ability, unfortunately. You should feel proud of what you did, and not punish yourself with guilt.