Heart Disease Community
Could this be heart attack or heart disease?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Starting in Sept. 2008 I started having tightness in the chest and heart palpatations. I ended up in the ER because  one afternoon I suddenly had a racing heartbeat and feeling like I was going to pass out. They did all of the regular tests EkG, cardiac enzyme test, blood work and they told me my blood pressure was very high 180/110 and my heart rate was 160 bpm. I was admitted into the hospital and seen by a cardiologist. I was told I had an episode of SVT. I was put on Bystolic to bring my heart rate and blood pressure down and that seemed to help. I had a stress test done the next day and the cardiologist told me everything was clear. I also wore a heart monitor for 2 weeks and was told that my skipped beats that I sometimes have are PACS. I was okay for a while but started having chest pain and more skipped beats. I went back to the Cardiologist and he did an echo and ct scan in Jan. 2009, both he said were also clear. At this time I was also having shortness of breath. The doctor could not find any reason for the chest pain or shortness of breath. He sent me to a pulmonologist, who ran several tests and diagnosed me with severe asthma. He put me on Alvesco inhaler 160mcg 2x daily. That seemed to help with the shortness of breath but not the on/off again chest pain I sometimes have. I have been back to see my cardiologist several times in the last year because of the chest pain but he continually says that I do not have heart disease. I worry about this because I am 38 years old female with a family history of heart disease. My father had a heart attack when he was my age (38). He is still around today, even after having bypass surgery at 61 years old.

The reason for my post is lately I have had a "pins and needles feeling" in my chest area and some numbness w/ some mild chest pain. The pins and needles feeling comes and goes and it is usually across my entire chest and down the middle into my gut area. I occasionally will also get a hollow feeling in my chest and stomach. I still have PACS off and on. I went to the ER with these symptoms about a month ago, and again they ran all the heart tests and blood work and could not find anything. The ER doctor thought it was probably my asthma but I am still afraid it's heart related. I have seen my cardiologist recently and he thinks the pain is chest wall pain, not angina pain. He also wanted me to exercise more and lift small (2-3)pound weights to build up my chest area. I am a tall and thin built person. I am afraid to exercise right now because of the chest pain and pins and needles feeling. I am supposed to see my cardiologist again in Apr. Are there any other tests that I should ask for to see if maybe I do have heart disease? Maybe another stress test? I am really worried. Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, I am also taking a multivitamin daily along with coq10 and salmon oil tablets for the heart. And 1 325mg asprin daily.
Kim; please don't dismiss the chest pain and shortness of breath.Look at my journal here at 'joanincarolina".There may be an explanation for your chest pain and not many doctors know about this.Where are you located? I'll answer questions form you. Joan.