Heart Disease Expert Forum
Coumadin and broken eye blood vessels
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Coumadin and broken eye blood vessels

I had aortic valve replacement 6 months ago with a St. Judes mechanical and am of course taking coumadin.  For some time I have been rocking between 4mg 3 times a week/6mg 4 times a week and 6mg 3 times a week/4mg 4 times a week.  I guess that is not an extremely high dose, but not sure.  Twice now, once about 3 months ago and again this week, it appears that a blood vessel has broken in my eye.  The last one was really large, kinda scary looking, but so far this one is only average; but it is in the same general place on the same eye as the other one.  I do a lot of close work with my eyes as I am an accountant and sometimes in rooms with no windows, etc.  I am wondering if this is normal in general and specifically could this have created an eye problem that I am not otherwise aware.  I have no problem with my vision other minor correction for distance and reading for which I use glasses (but don't wear all the time) and only discovered both times when I saw it in a mirror.  I am otherwise doing very well, especially as long as I stay exercised but rested.  Would stomach crunches or lifting small weights cause this?  That and walking is part of my exercise routine.  Thanks for your help!  I've received much terrific information from this sight--from before my surgery to today!  Thanks so much!
Susan