Heart Disease Expert Forum
Coumadin's affect on Kidney Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Coumadin's affect on Kidney Disease

I was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrom (syndrome) (protine count 700) in October. A few weeks before that I had been diagnosed with a fib and started taking Dilacor. The nephrologist added an Ace Inhibitor to the bunch. Last month I started having fibs once a day for short periods of time and my cardiologist suggested coumadin. So now I've been taking that for about 3 1/2 weeks now and in the past week the frothy urine sign of protein kidney problems is back. It had gone away and I had normal protein output for weeks (my kidney problems were probably caused by overuse of NSAIDs prior to October).

Can Coumadin act on the kidneys in the same fashion as NSAIDs? Has it started my nephrotic syndrom (syndrome) up again?
Coumadin would not be expected to cause your nephrotic syndrome to flare up. Given the change in urine, you had better see your nephrologist.
I'm seeing my nephrologist today, but got permission from my cardiologist to stop taking the coumadin a few days ago (reluctantly on her part). Guess what -- the frothy urine has gone away (except for last night, after having some tylonol for a sore muscle). Interesting stuff this.
it may very well be tylenol is the culprit.  very dangerous to
be off coumadin with atrial fib.  check the tylenol info on the
addiction forum on this web site.  best wishes for good
health in 2001.
tylenol may be the culprit.  check addiction forum for info on
tylenol.  it is very dangerous to be off coumadin with atrial fib.
best wishes for good health in 2001.
thanks for your concern, but I don't have fibs at the moment, hopefully it was something that won't come again. also, i'm a young woman with no history of heart problems, so docs agree that aspirin can be fine. the tylanol i only had the one time. now that i'm off of coumadin, my protein urine is down to 90 (from an all time high of 800 for me).