Heart Disease Expert Forum
Creatine and left bundle branch block

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Creatine and left bundle branch block

I am a healthy, active 33 y/o male. I have been diagnosed with left bundle branch block. I have been asympomatic with this condition since my physician found it about 3 yrs. ago. I have had a coronary angiogram which was negative for any ischemia.

My question is: I have been on a regular workout routine at my local gym. In order to enhance my strength development and reach my workout goals I have been told that the supplement Creatine is excellent. I have been told that Creatine gives unsurpassed energy levels for workouts and provides quick results.

I would like to start taking Creatine, however do not want to compromise my left bundle branch block condition. Any information on the effects of Creatine with heart block? Also, would you recommend any other supplements which would help enhance my workouts without disturbing my condition?

Thanks,

Joey

Glad to hear you are doing well.  My feeling about supplements is that unless there is data that they help -- peer reviewed medical journals -- I don't recommend them.  They are expensive and there is nothing but anecdotal evidence that they help.  I think if you take a multivitamin each day, that is about all you need.

I did not find any evidence of creatine and heart block.

Keep up the work outs and I don't think any supplements will help.

Good luck.
DO NOT TAKE CREATINE.  This is just my experience but creatine GREATLY impacted my heart.  I don't know if it was effected directly or maybe just having more adrenaline but after being on it for about a month I had a great increase in PVCs.  I didn't even think it was the creatine and then took it again about 6 months later.  Same thing happened but this time it took months for my heart to get somewhat normal again.  Research all you can if you decide to take it because I found reports of tachycardia and PVCs in medical information and also on the FDA site (I think the FDA site no longer lists supplement info but I know copies of it can still be found with successful searches on the internet).  It took me a lot of digging to find out about the adverse effects of creatine on the heart but it's out there.  Also, it may not have even been the creatine at all.  I read about two recent studies that found steriod and steriod precursers in a something like 20% of creatine supplements.  The studies weren't sure if the steriods got in there on purpose or perhaps were just being produced on the same machines as previous steriod batches.