Heart Disease Expert Forum
Critical Aortic Stenosis of fetus 23 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My name is Suzanne.  I am in  my 23rd week of pregnancy. I live in Northern California.  My baby was diagnosed with Critical Aortic Stenosis and enlargement of the left side with some scarring already noticable.  My 1st question is regarding the probable outcome?  Is it more than likely my baby will die before term?  And 2nd is anyone doing surgery in utero for such cases? And 3rd I am wondering if the Norwood surgery would be applicable to our case and if you can refer a pediatric surgeon at UC Davis of UC San Franciso?
Dear Suzanne,

I would suggest a second opinion from one of our pediatric cardiologists here at CCF.  It is difficult to make any recommendations without seeing the diagnositc studies that have been performed to date.

You may contact Dr. Kichuk here at CCF for information.  they may be reached at the number below.  They will be in a better position to give advice and recommendations.